moving /usr and /home partitions

hippocampe

The safest method is to use diskdrake to create the new partition. When you name it the same as an existing partition, it will ask you if you want to create and move the contents of the current partition. Say "yes", and it does it.

As far as home, I would move the other partitions first, backup home, and increase its size. Or burn home to a disk and reinstall with the new partitions.

Becarful! I've done this before with no prob, but today I moved /var and /tmp from / to give them their own partitions, to get more space on /, because my wife is now using kde!!!!! YEAH :lol: :wink: :P

But this time diskdrake decided not to mv them (it did ask, and I said yes) so the sys wouldn't boot. Stupid me trusted diskdrake, cause after all it has never failed me b4, and I didn't back up. Spent the last 3 hours repairing EVERYTHING. *sigh* no rpm db or logs or...well you get the idea :wink:

Another way would be too

1. Download www.partimage.org's iso bootable image cd

2. Boot off of it and make a backup file of each file. It's compressed so its gonna be much smaller.

3. make your new partition

4. restore the backup to the new partition. Only guideline is that the new partition must be same size or larger.

5. Update your /etc/fstab file.

Thanx guys,

It's done. Just in case anyone else might need it, this is what I did:

For /usr, I used the diskdrake method after making a backup and it went fine (I moved /var too). It reported errors a few times though (something like: xfs formatting failed) and I needed to reboot each time but no severe errors.

As for /home, I made a backup of the data, unmounted /home and renamed it, created and mounted the new home partition and restored my data. After checking that the restore went fine, I deleted the old /home.

The freed space on the first hd allowed me to increase the swap size.