MNF2 server

a13x

I have an old Celeron@433Mhz with 128MB RAM, SiS 6326 with 8MB video memory and 2 NICs which I want to use as a file server for now. I installed the latest MNF version (MNF2 beta). After the installation I was supposed to set up everything from my browser by accessing http://server_ip:8443. I restarted, waited for 5 minutes and than nothing. The web interference didn't work. Then I tried ssh-ing and pinging but without success.

I connected the server to my monitor, disabled iptables and shorewall and edited hosts.allow.

After this I was able to ping and ssh but still no web interference. I installed xfree86 but it wouldn't work.

[root@FileServer user1]# startx 

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 13) 
giving up. 
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server 
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error. 
[root@FileServer user1]#

After doing some googling I decided to install xorg 6.8. I set up the MDK 10.0 main, contrib and plf repos and installed xorg but now I get the same error.

I'm kinda stuck right now and don't know what to do next. I'd really like to have a web interference and X up and running (I know it's not very safe but for now I need some GUI tools). I'll fix the firewall later but now this is not the issue.

Maybe I should install webmin ?

Edited by a13x

• 1 month later...

I think that your problem with the X is the use of Kernel-Secure. This Kernel don't let the X to come up for security reasons. To use X you will need a normal Kernel.

But if you will intall that things in your firewalll why don't install a full distro like MDK10.1?

The only reason to exist the MNF is to be slin and unusable if hacked. MNF is only a striped version of MDK. If u want more things with some secure close to MNF, install MDK 10.1 without ftp, telnet,ssh,vnc,vi... clients, so if it be hacked, the agressor cannot do much in your net, and you will have a little more time to detect the intrusion before the guy get able to do something.

But if you want a advance, you simple don't need X to configure a server. The Webmin have all u need, and if don't have, try to search for new modules for webmin and install it.