Dell Inspiron Suspend

Guest pdschloss

Guest pdschloss

Hi,

It seems like variations of this problem have been discussed, but I can see to figure out my particular problem. I have just installed 10.1 out of the box on my inspiron 5100 and am trying to get the various standby/suspend/hibernate functions to work. I'm most interested in the suspend feature. Whenever I use klaptop to suspend, it does so, but when I push the button to unsuspend, it seems like the computer comes back, but my monitor remains blank.

I've updated the Bios from A06 to A22 using the downloaded from dell. I'm loading ACPI with lilo and I know that APM isn't running.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pat

I had similar problems with suspend. Does hibernate work okay? NOTE - I wouldn't recommend trying it without a good size swap partition. I go with 1.5x the amount of RAM.

That depends on how much RAM you have. You'll never use more than 500mb of swap, so if you have 512mb ram, make your swap the same size, if you have a gig of ram... well then you could perhaps even have less swap.

In the old days they used to say you should have double your ram in swap - but back then nobody had more than around 64mb and Linux was a different animal. These days, just make your swap 500mb.

soulse: I'm not sure having swap smaller than RAM will work for this specific thing, though. I'm not massively up on the technical details, but I *thought* hibernation worked by writing the exact memory state to disk then basically shutting the system down, and reading the state back into memory when you woke it up again. How would that work if the swap partition - which Linux uses for the hibernation data - was smaller than the size of the RAM on the system?

In general, you're right, though. Huge swap files are pretty pointless.

Precisely...that's what (I believe) caused a very nasty b0rk for me just recently. Then I had 500MB swap, with 512MB RAM. Now I've got 800MB and hibernate works like a charm.

I have 1.5 GB swap and 512 MB RAM and had a big trouble with hibernate on Mke10.0 official I could never restore my computer session. I am sure there are other problems with hibernate.

*sigh*

I said that IFYOU HAVE MORE THAN 500MB of Ram - like a gig, then you could still have a 500mb swap partition - and you could.

Please explain how you are going to have more than 500mbs worth of stuff that needs to go into swap for hibernation? Are you remotely operating a space station?

..although I'll admit that it makes the most sense to have the same amount of swap or more. It just seems like a waste to have more than 500mb, I can't imagine how you'd ever use it, unless you put your laptop to sleep while you were rendering something fierce.

..although I'll admit that it makes the most sense to have the same amount of swap or more. It just seems like a waste to have more than 500mb, I can't imagine how you'd ever use it, unless you put your laptop to sleep while you were rendering something fierce.

Yes I admit that but actually I planned to have 1.2 GB RAM because I am running creasy calculations that needs creasy memory and I used to hear that the swap should be twice the RAM. Now I have 1.2 GB RAM and 1.5 swap. Does it make sens? I am very new to Linux and don't know about the swap partition. But I just reported my bad experience with hibernate since I had more than enoug swap space and I had to rinstall to get the laptop working! May be there are more than an issue with hibernate?

Yassine