epson perfection 1260 photo scanner

bigjohn

I have recently brought the above scanner and can't get it working.

I have looked at Jonathan Buzzards site about USB scanners, but don't really understand how to make it work.

I think that I have downloaded the correct files (maybe!!!) but I don't understand what I need to do with them from there.

Could anyone tell me exactly what I need to do/get/download etc and how to set it up/configure as it isn't listed under "scannerdrake" - the models only seem to go upto 1240 (which, as far as I can work out, is a superceded model - 2 models ago as there also seems to have been a 1250) so I believe it may be a little "recent".

Also, if anyone has any ideas/info could you put it in "monkey see, monkey do" type language as I'm finding getting to grips with linux terminology confusing - too much retained window$ nonsense!!!

regards

John

If you're using Mandrake 8.2, you're probably right that it's a little "too recent" and not supported. I don't know about 9.0, I don't use it, but but you might find out here: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3

If your scanner isn't listed there, no problem, you're still in luck 'cause you've got an Epson and Epson is very good about supporting Linux. Go here: http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/lsd_e.html

and you'll find what you need.

Know what you mean about the switch from Winblows, but trashing it is the best thing I ever did. Just keep telling yourself how tough it would be to switch to Winshaft if all you'd ever used was Linux...

BTW, my Epson 1650 is supported "out of the box" by 8.2 and runs better than under Winshaft. And Xsane is a lot better than Epson's crappy software.

Just go to Epson's site I gave you a link to. You can get what you need there, with detailed instructions. Probably easier than dealing with whatever you downloaded. Anyway, you haven't said what "bits of sane/xsane" that is, so I have no idea what to tell you to do with it. No matter, really. Once you get the Epson driver installed you can use the scanner with Xsane. I never bothered to install the Epson software.

I started with Mandrake 8.0 which didn't support my then-too-new 1650 out of the box, so I was in the same situation then as you are now. I knew next to nothing about Linux, (still don't...) but followed Epson's instructions and got it working.

It's really not *that* tough to figure out once you get a little bit of the hang of the Linux way of doing things. If you have trouble with Linux terminology or something trying to do this, try post again here and someone will try to help. For more specific questions about Epson's stuff try posting on the Epson user board, their engineers are pretty good about answering questions. If that doesn't solve your problem, then it may be time to read manuals or try to Google your way out of it.