Toshiba A50 543

Guest Radi0ShacK

Guest Radi0ShacK

Hello every one,

i ve bought Toshiba A50 543 laptop and i ve faced many problems after installation of mandrake 10 "reads cache memory 64k which is 2M, processor typt ...etc", does centrino laptops is well configured in mandy or not??, also i ve followed instruction from this link http://padde.dyndns.org/toshiba-linux/indexe.html can any body help and explain me why he did this??

THNX ALOT. :thanks:

Guest Radi0ShacK

Here are the hardware details :

CPU Intel Pentium M 715 ("Dothan"), 1.5 GHz (throttleable down to 600 MHz), FSB 400 MHz, 2 MB cache

RAM 512 MB DDR

HDD 60 GB

Optical drive CD-ROM (24/-), CD-R (24/16), CD-RW (8/4), DVD-ROM (8/-), DVD-R (4/4), DVD-RW (4/2), DVD+R (4/2.4), DVD+RW (4/2.4), DVD-RAM (2/2)

Monitor 15" TFT, 1024x768 pixels

Graphics Intel 855GME (integrated), 16-64 MB shared memory, AGP 4x

Battery Lithium-Ion, runtime 3.7h (Toshiba, Mobile Mark)

Interfaces Headphones, microphone, DC in, VGA out, RJ-11 (modem), RJ-45 (Fast Ethernet), TV out (S-Video), Firewire/IEEE1394 (unpowered), 3x USB 2.0, PC Card Typ II WLAN Wi-Fi compatible, 802.11b/g (54 Mbit/s )

LAN Fast Ethernet (10/100 Mbit/s)

Modem Softmodem; V.92 (56 Kbit/s), V.17 (14.4 Kbit/s Fax)

Sound Intel (integrated), 16 bit, Stereo, built-in Stereo speakers, volume control via mechanical wheel

Keyboard 86 keys, 2 Windows keys, Cursor keys, additional function keys as well as four special keys (back, forward, play/pause, stop)

Mouse ALPS Touch Pad

Dimensions, weight L x W x H : 338 x 27 x 274 (front) / 38 (back) mm, 2.7 kg

plz help!!

Guest Radi0ShacK
I don't really understand your question. Can you elaborate more on the problem you have with installation?

I mean.. I have installed Mandrake 10 OE on Centrino laptops before, and they work fine.

it reads my cache 64k instead of 2m and plz see this http://padde.dyndns.org/toshiba-linux/indexe.html and tell me if these steps r correct for manrake 10 distro

thanks

I guess that when the kernel for Mandrake 10 is released (I mean.. it was quite a while ago), Dothans were not available in stores yet, so it reads the cache wrong.

The steps outlined in the sites are pretty much for any distro since it outlines how to update the kernel to the newest stable vanila version. Also the modem driver is also doable for any distro as long as you install the kernel-source. My guess is that he just want every thing to be the newest or greatest. My advice is just to get your centrino working with Mandrake installation first, before mucking about with kernel and drivers.

Guest Radi0ShacK
I guess that when the kernel for Mandrake 10 is released (I mean.. it was quite a while ago), Dothans were not available in stores yet, so it reads the cache wrong.

The steps outlined in the sites are pretty much for any distro since it outlines how to update the kernel to the newest stable vanila version. Also the modem driver is also doable for any distro as long as you install the kernel-source. My guess is that he just want every thing to be the newest or greatest. My advice is just to get your centrino working with Mandrake installation first, before mucking about with kernel and drivers.

ok but when mandy10.1 be official accessable for public does it support centrino technology?

RadiOShack,

Check this site out. http://support.intel.com/support/notebook/...6059-prd955.htm

Also one of the first things you'll learn with Linux is that Google.com is your very best friend. Another thing I've learned about Linux is Laptops have to be the worth things to learn/first install on. Desktops usually are the best thing to learn Linux on, from my point of persepctive anyways. Why do I say that? Well with laptops there is alot of on-board hardware and sometimes of lesser grade. Also Laptops do alot more trickier things than desktops, like wireless, push button cd/dvd controls, touchpads and things like that. Wireless being on of the trickest with some of them seems the real kicker for some. My suggestion would be if a desktop is not available to use cat5 cable until you get your wireless working and not to get to fustrated.

Anyways don't mean to preach, but just remember Google.com is your friend. Go to that site and follow some of the links there and see if they help. You could also probably type your laptop model combined with centrino and linux in google and see what comes up.

FX

ok but when mandy10.1 be official accessable for public does it support centrino technology?

Well, it should. Some of the improvements in the newer Linux kernel (2.6.8 and up) is better support for laptops. Since the ISOs for Mandrake 10.1 OE download edition was up this morning, you can download them and try them yourself.

Heck, Mandrake 10.1 OE supports my Nokia USB data cable without me patching the driver and recompiling the kernel. Now, that's what I call support :thumbs:

RadiOShack,

Check this site out.  http://support.intel.com/support/notebook/...6059-prd955.htm

Also one of the first things you'll learn with Linux is that Google.com is your very best friend. Another thing I've learned about Linux is Laptops have to be the worth things to learn/first install on. Desktops usually are the best thing to learn Linux on, from my point of persepctive anyways. Why do I say that? Well with laptops there is alot of on-board hardware and sometimes of lesser grade. Also Laptops do alot more trickier things than desktops, like wireless, push button cd/dvd controls, touchpads and things like that. Wireless being on of the trickest with some of them seems the real kicker for some. My suggestion would be if a desktop is not available to use cat5 cable until you get your wireless working and not to get to fustrated.

Anyways don't mean to preach, but just remember Google.com is your friend. Go to that site and follow some of the links there and see if they help. You could also probably type your laptop model combined with centrino and linux in google and see what comes up.

FX

Now, I agree with that statements. Desktops, with its modular component, is a lot easier to install linux in. As long as the desktop is at least a few months old technology wise, it will be supported. Laptops, on the other hand, is much more painful to install due to its integrated nature. I remember spending two weeks trying to install Mandrake 9.1 on the toshiba laptop I use for the first time, and another week trying to install 9.2 on the same laptop (due that the bad kernel released in 9.2 the first time). 10 install pretty painlessly because of the better support and that I already know the steps to make it working but I lost support for my irda since the driver for kernel 2.4 is different from kernel 2.6. Now I will try installing 10.1 after I download the isos, after doing partition backup of course.