How to install Egoboo?

SoulSe

Can't find info anywhere.

I downloaded the tar.gz, extracted everything, cded into "egoboo" and now? no makefile, no readme, no sripts, just a bunch of text files with no helpfull info in them and directories (can't find a makefile in any of them).

basicdat/ controls.txt gpl.txt modules/ setup.txt

code/ egoboo.txt import/ players/ text/

...and that's it. So now what? I get the feeling I will be feeling very stupid once this is explained to me.

sweet. its so rare that I'm right!!!

I really, really hate to do this, but I must for the sake of people reading this thread in the future.

It doesn't actually work to do a ./configure or make or makeinstall.

The ONLY way I could get it installed was like this:

untar the file to /usr/share/games/ (or wherever you want it)

Move the file /egoboo/code/egoboo to /bin

cd into /bin

Make a file called egoboo.sh

Edit the file with following lines: cd /usr/share/egoboo (or wherever you put it)

egoboo

Now, in order to run egoboo, you must run egoboo.sh

The game is under development and still needs lotsa work, but it is great fun.

Wouldn't it be preferable to copy this file to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin?

There is a difference, mind you. The /usr/bin and /bin directories have completely different goals. There is a very good reason such differentiation exists.

As far as I understand, /bin and /sbin contain some utilities that are necessary for the system to boot and to function without a network ( /usr may be on the network ) or before the network is up.

I don't think this game file is necessary to boot and therefore its place is in /usr/bin or even in /usr/local/bin.

Chalex has a good point, but I have no idea about what /bin /sbin etc. are intended for.

Which is strange, I should know that by now!

Perhaps someone can shed some light or paste a good link conerning the differences?

Chalex has a good point, but I have no idea about what /bin /sbin etc. are intended for.

/bin - regular utilities necessary for boot.

/sbin - system maintenance utilities necessary for boot

/etc - system configuration files necessary for boot.

/usr - Unix System Resources.

Of those :

/usr/bin - regular utilities

/usr/sbin - system maintenance utilities

/usr/share - shareable configuration files

/usr/local - system resources LOCAL to this particular station ( /usr/ may reside on a network ).

/var - variable ( quickly changing ) but important to keep data

/tmp - temporary data

Which is strange, I should know that by now!

Perhaps someone can shed some light or paste a good link conerning the differences?

/usr/local/bin is where you want to put your links to games. That's where the Loki games go by default, and that's where I put mine.

The games themselves don't go there, they go into /usr/local/games/.

And for Egoboo, there was a precompiled binary, and all you had to do was copy it from that directory to the directory above it. That's how I remember it going anyhow, since I've never compiled it before.

I'm thinking it was an older 2.X release that I played on my LAN... I'm sure of it... Bah, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm really quite sure.

I spent some time on the Egoboo forum on sourceforge.

There is definately no net play for 2.22 (not yet, anyhow) and no script. There is a makefile, but it didn't work on my system. The answer I got was that 2.22 still had a lot of work to be done.