problem with USB hub

hippocampe

I helped install MDK 9 on a friend's machine. He has a hp pavilion 6645 and bought recently a Cicero USB 2.0 hub (external 4 ports) because the hp has only 2 usb ports. Whenever the hub is connected to the computer during the bootup, his computer would hang at the HP splash screen. The machine boots normally when the hub isn't connected. Also, when the hub is connected after the machine has finished booting, everything works OK. I tried playing with the BIOS settings a bit but it didnt work. I wonder if it is due to IRQ conflict.... :?:

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

This is a guess, but perhaps the usb port is not sending a response that linux expects during boot. I have a usb cradle for my palm that I can only plug in after boot, if I expect it to work properly. The usb port only comes live when I sync, and it takes 2-3 button presses for linux to eventually respond and sync. Once the port is active, it syncs on the first button press. So, my guess is the hub is creating a situation where linux expects a response, and waits to get it.

Just a guess. Somebody else I am sure has a better answer.