Question about the realteck network card 10/100mb?

Mandriva-user

1. Is it 60 gb hd for win98se or for later time win xp pro upgrade and MANDRAKE 9.0 on the same hd or should I get 20 gb hd for windows?

2. I have now Realteck network card 10/100mb will it work with Mandrake 9.0.

One person told me it will work,will it work?

I hope everyone has a nice xmas and happy new year.I have

Thank you for helping me.

Cheers mandrake-user

Athlon TB 1.3, 512 MB SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive and DSL Connection (YEAH!)

1. Is it 60 gb hd for win98se or for later time win xp pro upgrade and MANDRAKE 9.0 on the same hd or should I get 20 gb hd for windows?

Usually a 60gb hd is entirely enough room for Win & Linux, but I've heard rumors, that there are difficulties in installing WinXP together with anything else on one disk. Therfor I'd recommend to buy the extra-drive...

I'm still on M8.2 and my Realtek-Device is working fine, therfor I'd expect the same to be true for M9!

P.S.: Please excuse my bad english - it's not my native language

I have been using a 10/100 PCI network card (made with the realtek 8139 series chipset) with redhat-6.2, mandrake-8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 9.0. It should work fine.

Guest dahvaio

RealTek NIC here and it works fine...

I've used 60GB to install WindowsXP and Mandrake and everthing worked fine.

However, I think it would be wise to get another drive... The space is always good. I have 2-60GB on one machine and 2-40GB on another and I always seem to be running out of space... LOL.....

Unless you have nothing better to do with money and if it is your intention to start the move to Linux from XP, I see no reason to do go out and buy a second drive. In this time of increasingly large disks, it is becoming more difficult to make these decisions. The only conceivable use I could see would be as a drive for backup.

If I were in your situation, I would put the two-drive decision down the road. This is what I think you should do. Using whatever partitioning method comes out of the XP box, use it to partition the drive. For the lack of a better idea, make the partitions 20 Gb for XP and 40 Gb for Linux. Format the partitions to FAT32 as opposed to NTFS which will give you access to everything in your Windows partition from Linux. Set up the 40 Gb as one extended partition. Go ahead and install XP.

That being done, take a break and read the Installation Docs for Mandrake. If you want information on managing hard disks and partitioning go to http://www.tldp.org and read the Large Disk How-To and the Partitioning mini How-To to save yourself grief down the road.

When you are ready to install, choose Expert install to give you control over the partitioning. Make a 5 Gb partition for "/" root, a /swap paritiion up to double your ram up to 512K. Create separate /home partition, /usr partition, /usr/local partition, and /var partition. The /home partition is where all your settings and other customization is stored so it should never be formatted after install unless you are forced to do so because of a catastrophic failure. This allows you to install a later version and keep your settings. Most here would recommend journalling. ext3 would be my choice. The size of these partitions can be divided up giving /home lots of room and /var the same, if you intend to run a server. The docs will give you a rough outline of what is stored in each partition.

Choose Grub as your boot loader and make sure to create a boot disk. There are kernel updates that you will need and you should make sure you create a new boot disk whenever the kernel is changed. Grub will aloow you to boot to both XP and Mandrake. I would put it in the boot sector. Make sure you read as much as you can from the various Mandrake manuals. You will save a lot of time and trouble and answer a lot of questions as you work through them. The links, tutorials and old docs at the top of this page are also useful resources.

Let us know how you make out.

Counterspy

Counterspy your answer:

Unless you have nothing better to do with money and if it is your intention to start the move to Linux from XP, I see no reason to do go out and buy a second drive. In this time of increasingly large disks, it is becoming more difficult to make these decisions. The only conceivable use I could see would be as a drive for backup. 

If I were in your situation, I would put the two-drive decision down the road. This is what I think you should do. Using whatever partitioning method comes out of the XP box, use it to partition the drive. For the lack of a better idea, make the partitions 20 Gb for XP and 40 Gb for Linux. Format the partitions to FAT32 as opposed to NTFS which will give you access to everything in your Windows partition from Linux. Set up the 40 Gb as one extended partition. Go ahead and install XP. 

That being done, take a break and read the Installation Docs for Mandrake. If you want information on managing hard disks and partitioning go to http://www.tldp.org and read the Large Disk How-To and the Partitioning mini How-To to save yourself grief down the road. 

When you are ready to install, choose Expert install to give you control over the partitioning. Make a 5 Gb partition for "/" root, a /swap paritiion up to double your ram up to 512K. Create separate /home partition, /usr partition, /usr/local partition, and /var partition. The /home partition is where all your settings and other customization is stored so it should never be formatted after install unless you are forced to do so because of a catastrophic failure. This allows you to install a later version and keep your settings. Most here would recommend journalling. ext3 would be my choice. The size of these partitions can be divided up giving /home lots of room and /var the same, if you intend to run a server. The docs will give you a rough outline of what is stored in each partition. 

Choose Grub as your boot loader and make sure to create a boot disk. There are kernel updates that you will need and you should make sure you create a new boot disk whenever the kernel is changed. Grub will aloow you to boot to both XP and Mandrake. I would put it in the boot sector. Make sure you read as much as you can from the various Mandrake manuals. You will save a lot of time and trouble and answer a lot of questions as you work through them. The links, tutorials and old docs at the top of this page are also useful resources. 

Let us know how you make out. 

Counterspy

Yes,yes I like your answer I will go for it you know why I got 100 disk cd-r for cd-rw and 10 cd-rw disk & between 15-25 250mb zip disk so I thing it is enough for back up or what ever it is?

What you saying?.

:lol: Mandrak-user