Want to try Ubuntu... I think!?

Hi Guys.

I'm beginning to get a little bit frustrated about SUSE, don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT distro, but I don't really feel in control...

So I'm looking ahead, used Mandrake and Fedora before, are considering going back, but have heard great things about Ubuntu. Gnome 2.8, Debian-based and non-commersial sounds tempting.

Anyone got any Ubuntu-experiences they want to share? Espesially interested if you are running a Nvidia nForce chipset, even better, a Shuttle SFF box.

The main apps I will use on this box is Bluefish, The GIMP, Firefox/Thunderbird, K3b (or similar), OpenOffice and DVD Styler, not development, just normal desktop-use.

Does Ubuntu mount USB-devices like memory-pen and disks automaticly?

Hi Topdog you should take a look here: ubuntuforums.org

I can't answer the hardware questions because I don't have the hardware you're naming.

Firefox is the standard web-browser in Ubuntu as default and it's working perfect.

The thunderbird you've get through package manager, Gimp 2 is installed as default, also open office.

K3b you can get through, package manager if you inable the universe repertoire (sp?).

Also check Ubuntu unofficial starter guide: here

.:=The AI Dude=:.

you might want to use ubuntu on a spare partition or as a live cd first. but from what i can tell you so far, i am very pleased with ubuntu. stable, relatively easy to install, fast, nice looking and all debian-stuff is only a mouseclick away. i got ubuntu instantly working on my esc-notebook with nvidia graphics. there are not many downpoints to report. most are visible in the ubuntu-forum anyway. :)

I like Ubuntu, and you will to, if you're looking for a very stable distro that you won't be experimenting much with.

I'm used to Gentoo where there are updates waiting in the portage-tree every morning, and I like the bleeding-edge feeling. Ubuntu, on the other hand, will hardly ever have updates as they seem to favour stability above all else. I'm sure you could get it a little more up-to-date by adding the right repositories mind you.

I have Ubuntu installed on my old box that I keep around for my girlfriend to use and for other basic stuff. It never breaks. BUT - Firefox hasn't even reached 1.0 yet and I think there has been ten updates since I installed.

So, if you want an easy install that results in a very stable and easy to use distro, then go for it.

Is the shuttle nforce 3?

I'm using a msi neo2 w/ nforce 3 ultra, mainly use fc3 but play around on ubuntu now and again on it. works fine here.

Nope its nforce2 if any...

All my shuttles run Debian much more completely than they run Mandrake from the box...Mandrake needs a bit of forcing... but my Deb installs all work fine spo I don't see why Ubuntu wouldn't.