compiling source with no safety net

Guest joehill

Guest joehill

I downloaded the source code for Telejano, a really cool Quake engine with support for Q3 type textures and effects.

The source comes with no configure script, no makefile, nothin'.

I have read the man pages for make and xmkmf, but they assume that I already have an Imake file. Also, I have done some Googling, and so far I have discovered some documentation but it only covers the steps starting with an Imake file or configure script. Do I need to get this from the coders?; or can I actually compile the source from scratch to work on my system?

I am trying to get in touch with the folks at Telejano, but so far I have not found an e-mail address or IRC channel. I bet they would love someone to create Linux binaries, but I am not sure where to start.

Cheers!

It says, you just copy the files into your Quake directory, so I'm assuming you don't need a configure script or a makefile, you could just compile them and then copy them. But I'm kinda ignorant about these things and I can't get any of them to compile. Looking at the comments in the files themselves, it looks like it was intended that they be used with Windows Visual C++, but I don't think that matters. Maybe if you got a Borland C++ IDE and added all the files as a project, that may work. I'm just wild guessing, actually. I may try it later when I get home.

Guest joehill

no, you cannot compile without a makefile, the make command will not work without it, and make is the command which does the compiling.

what I need to find out is how to generate a makefile, or a configure script which will generate a makefile,

I am starting to think the configure script has to be somehow written by hand, which would be verrrrrrry bad news, as I have looked at other configure scripts and they are very very complex and tricky.

Guest joehill

I wish there was... :cry:

but good thinking!

I wonder, could it be as Steve Scrimpshire said, that the code could only be compiled with a certain compiler? The impression I have always had is that C code is pretty much portable insofar as compilers.

Well, like I said, I was pretty much clueless about what I was talking about. The makefile, it was my impression was to tell the compiler what headers went with what *.c file and then where to place the *.o file or whatever. I'd been playing around with the Borland IDE in Windows while trying to learn C++ and wrote and compiled several (simple) programs with several different *.c files and *.h files...I just wrote the files and then saved them to a particular 'project' and then told the Borland IDE to compile the project. It had several library paths already known to it (is my understanding) and the place where the project was stored was one of those, so theoretically, I thought, an IDE similar in Linux might do the trick for you. Once again, I am clueless about what I'm talking about, but I thought that was how it worked...basically the IDE creating it's own Makefile. (I know people are out there thinking how moronic I sound....LOL)

its possible for c/c++ to be compiled with any standards compliant c/c++ compiler. however, many compilers add "enhancements" to allow extra functionality at the expense of portability. for example, gcc allows a // to denote a comment in c even though it technically isn't part of the c standard (// is standard in c++ though). on top of that, if a programmer writes specifically with one audience (ie, window users) in mind, the program can get even less portable. in this case, i believe that this is probably the issue.

i took a look that the source myself and i'm positive that its intended for windows. you could try to throw all the files into a kdevelop project, but i doubt you'll get it to work.

this should go without saying, but i could be wrong, so correct me as needed.