Upgrading nvidia driver - 10.1 offical Powerpack

lets-eat-gary

Hi people.

I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 OE power pack.

It comes with the Nvidia driver (6111) built in. Whilst it made everything easy when first setting up it has been a hassle to upgrade the driver to the newer version (6629).

What are the steps to uninstallling the version that comes with 10.1 OE and installing the newer driver?

I have tried a few things and have so far been unsuccessful, and ideas?

I have also installed Fedora Core 3 recently and installed the most recent nvidia driver on that and it has made Doom 3 much faster and smoother so am hoping for the same with Mandrake 10.1 .... then i might try yoper !

Just make sure you have your kernel-source installed and run

nvidia-installer --update

or, if the nvidia-installer pkg is not still there (should be), just grab the latest driver and install. It will see that you have an older driver and walk you through it.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

just remember to run the installer with X disabled (from a terminal run service dm stop), and I also sometimes have to run the installer twice when upgrading the driver or switching kernel versions - if you get any odd error message, just run the installer again. When you're finished with the installer remove and reinsert the nvidia module, just to be safe -

# modprobe -r nvidia

# modprobe nvidia

and restart X:

# service -f dm

and off you go!

Can you possibly post the few lines before and after that error? Look in /var/log/nvidia-installer.log for more verbose error messages. It's possible you need to update your module-init-tools-3.0-4mdk, but I'll know more after seeing a little more verbose error.

Hi,

I sorted it, it was due to urpmi installing the incorrect kernel-source version

- I did urpmi kernel-source

- it installed the 2.4 kernel one, i also had the 2.6.8-12 one but was still getting the nvidia KO error

To resolve this i used MCC to remove all kernel-source versions

- then did urpmi kernel-source-2.6

- driver installed fine!