apt - rpm / synaptic

ezroller

I have, I think the functionality is about the same as urpmi / rpmdrake. Synaptic wins in telling which is the dependencies needed or clashed, but a bit too rigid (for example when I tried installing the new k3b which clashed with arson). Urpmi / rpmdrake wins in telling which files are installed in the rpm with bigger hdlist.

Anyway, I only use synaptic since texstar hosed his mandrake, losing his gpg keys and he doesn't want to rebuild and re-signs all his rpms so he goes exclusively synaptic. Since texstar is the only synaptic mirror I know, rpmdrake is still the main rpm installer for me.

Oh.. the thing I like / dislike about synaptic is that all the rpms are downloaded and kept in /var/cache/apt/archives directory, including the old ones or previous versions, which is okay for me since I have about 17 gigs free in my / directory, but if some people have a smaller hard disk or partition, it could make people nervous about how their hard drive space just shrink so quickly if they don't know about this trick.

Guest smoketoomuch
I have, I think the functionality is about the same as urpmi / rpmdrake. Synaptic wins in telling which is the dependencies needed or clashed, but a bit too rigid (for example when I tried installing the new k3b which clashed with arson). Urpmi / rpmdrake wins in telling which files are installed in the rpm with bigger hdlist.

My experience with synaptic exactly - it seems more rigid in dependencies to me as well. Nevertheless, I like urpmi functionality (urpmq and urpmf).

If you use Synaptic, there are three options in preferences:

Leave downloaded packages in cache

Delete downloaded packages after installation

Delete obsolote packages from cache

It seems to default to the first option, but you can change that. :)