Only 2" of TV sound with saa7134

theYinYeti

Hello,

I have a saa7134-based "Pinnacle PCTV Stereo" (card=26), and kernel 2.6.8.1. Composite, and S-Video inputs are working well (picture and sound).

But TV input is bad. I have the TV picture, but sound is not working properly:

At start of the application, and after each channel change, it's always the same:

1- Sound is there for about 2 seconds.

2- I hear a low-frenquency "bomp" in the speaker (like a fast beat on a very-low-pitched drum).

3- White noise only...

4- ... with the normal sound slowly and faintly coming back, mixed with the noise, then fainting again to non-existence, and so on.

I would describe it so:

normal ----------|
                 |
                 |
                 |
                 |      /---\               /---\
                 | /---/     \---\     /---/     \---...
zero             |/               \---/
                 /
      0.   1.   2.   3. ... seconds

I tried seeing the debug output, but everything seems OK.

One last important thing: the problem can be heard even by connecting the output of the TV card directly to the HiFi, instead of to the sound-card's LineIN or CD. So it shouldn't be an ALSA problem, but rather a saa7134, or tuner, or tda9887 problem.

Please help! It's so frustrating, hearing sound and then not; because I *know* sound can be heard. It maddening.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

Thanks devries for replying, and searching. But that's not the problem. I use Xawdecode to watch TV, and there's no recording involved. I just watch TV with sound (!me mad!), and then no sound anymore :cry:

BTW, I tried kernel 2.6.9 with bytesex.org's All-...-2.6.9rc4 kernel patch, and nothing changes...

Yves.

• 1 month later...

I partially solved the problem by getting back to kernel 2.6.7. Now I have sound OK on channels # 2, 3, 5, and 6. But the problem is still there with channels # 1, and 4 (and sometimes 2).

The problem seems to be with a bad detection of the TV sub-standard (variant of SECAM), when signal is not perfect. So, is there a way to force the substandard, for example to SECAM-L?

Yves.