Why is Evolution so SLOW?

finlay

I've had to give up on Evolution. I imported my calendar from previous version. (infact I've imported a calendar in various formats just to see if it dealt with any one better than others - vCAl .ics etc) but always the same problems. The calendar - maybe two years worth - takes forever to import, well, maybe 20 mins. Then once its there, it takes 4 secs to move from one week to another, at least 12 secs (and sometimes 20!) to move from one month to another. If I move back more than 3 or 4 months one after another I get disc thrashing and nothing moves. (Of course things happen but ve-ery slowly). Evolution was fine in the version released under Mdk 10. They've changed the way it deals with its files and to my mind they've broken it. Anyone else with the same problems? Gone over to using Kontact though I hate the look of it.

Mdk 10.1 CE, KDE3.2.3, 160Gb HDD, 512 Mb RAM

Guest electra

Never fear, You are not alone! :D

I have spent best part of three days trying to manage synchronisation between my Palm T3 and the new 10.1 Official evolution version 2.0. They have taken what was developing into the definitive PIM solution that was way ahead of Outlook and really messed it up.

I have ended up with multiple copies of activities on my Palm and PC and trying to remove them from Evolution is a nightmare. Not only does it hang, it seems to take over the CPU completely and stops anything happening. I can remove say10 or 20 appointments from one month (in the list view) but as soon as I try to go to the next month the new (?) database simply locks everything up.

So....

I blanked the Palm and told Evolution to move everything from PC to Palm and it worked fine. I then deleted the excess from the Palm and synchronised and again Evolution locked the machine. This is a serious issue for us as we have all migrated from Outlook to Evolution and I do not want to go back!

Anyone with any ideas on why it is happening? How can we feed this back to the Novell team to get a bug fix issued?