Hello

After using Mandrake then Ubuntu I decided perhaps give Yoper a chance.

I have been looking into their homepage to get a feeling what's about. So far so promising, Yoper got only i686 tree which suit me perfectly and KDE 3.3 which is also good.

What I really want is to hear for those guys (or girls) who tried Yoper, what's good and what's bad about Yoper, so I get a picture of it before messing around with it.

Cheers

.:=The AI Dude=:.

as i am an inofficial member of the yoper team, i should say positive things about yoper. but yoper is a two sided sword. i will give you my very own personal impressions.

what is good about yoper is: one cd for download, after that you can add more stuff either via rpm or apt-get. yes, both formats work with yoper but they can (but must not necessarily) cause trouble.

it installs in 5 (!) to 15 minutes on your box (depending on your system) and comes with kde 3.3 as default. the coders/developers do listen to the users and give personal feedback if needed. it has a mac osx-like control-center that is easy to use. a very noob friendly distro and at the same time the fastest kde-desktop you can ever get (yes, definitely faster than gentoo or slackware). this also applies to open office which is very fast there.

now to the downsides: forum is inaccessible since some weeks because we are moving to a new server and funding is critical at the moment. what is even worse is that the latest release has some annoying bugs. do not format your partitions to reiserfs. if you do, you will not get the fastest, but the slowest kde-distro on earth. very annoying bug.

also, qt-parted is not the best thing for partitioning. several users had problems with apt-get and only got it working while pinging the mirror via terminal while running apt-get. mirrors are also overcrowded and thus not the fastest. more mirrors are desperately needed but hard to come by.

as i told before, using apt-get can cause trouble in yoper. it wrecked my machine when i wanted to install gnome 2.8. it needed some heavy tweaking to get my box running again. so i would only tell users that want to stick with kde to use yoper. gnome and other desktops still need to be polished qith yoper imho.

once you install yoper, you are only given an english-language desktop. you can download the rpm or deb-file for other languages in a hurry, but a little choice by default would have been nice and i guess that future versions will correct this annoyance.

give it a try and make yourself a picture. not a bad distro but as it is quite young, it still needs polishing/time to mature.

B)

Edited by arctic

Thanks for the reply :)

Okay...I'm downloading v. 2.1.0-4, I'll then avoid Reiser4(though it was one of the reason to try Yoper), Keep only to KDE and .rpms downloading files...got it!

If I find Yoper great, I'll happy put some money in for the new server :)