Troublesome nVidia problem fixed

Guest sepius

Hi .. I see there is always some posts on nVidia card drivers. I upgraded my hardware to an nVidia gx4000, my third nVidia. Having had some issues everytime this one was really bad and after 3 weeks of mucking around and checking this site and others I found the easiest solution

Got myself an ATI Radeon.

With the RPM from ATI, follow the instructions, no editing of configs .. it was up and running in under 10 minutes and is running great.

Just like to share that for those that may have the resources to take up this solution.

Some information:

consensus among most Linux users is to go for NVidia.

ATI doesn't even have AMD64 linux drivers, NVidia has had them for what, almost a year now?

The story above, though I believe it's sincere and true, is rather contradictory to common experience.

At the moment ATI linux support lacks way behind Nvidia's; try to get xorg 6.8 running with ATI, even xorg 6.7 is not officially supported, they're still on XFree.

It's true. nVidia's linux support has been clearly superrior to ATI's. I'd never reccommend anything by ATI for a linux novice. Then again, I'd hardly reccommend anything by ATI to begin with, even though their performance typically edges out the nVidia hardware.

The real reason for nVidia's superiority in the OpenGL area, is that they are the leader in the CGI world. Think Weta Digital, Dreamworks, and other Studios here. All of the leading 3D CGI apps require hardware OpenGL, and most of them require a Certified Workstation card (nVidia Quadro series, ATI FireGL series). some of these applications come in Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux (usually Redhat). The windows OpenGL render benchmarks clearly show that nVidia is superior overall.

Interestingly, on this Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee motherboard, Mandrake Powerpack install does not like to load the nVidia without the nForce kernel. This forced me to use my venerable ATI XPert 2000 Pro (32 MB, 4x AGP, OpenGL 1.1), and I got Hardware OpenGL with it (surprise).

I have to agree with Sepius, in that we have to use the hardware that works for us, in our particular setup. Some of us have problems with one or the other.