linux-friendly photo printer?

JeroenM

I suppose that Epson are the best supported because they were at the core of the creation of the GimpPrint project, which is central to Linux printing today. Were I you, I'd go and check the http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ site.

Yves.

Another vote for Epson.

Oh, and the turboprint thingy is

1) not FLOSS/open source

2) not free. The free variation doesn't allow the highest quality settings.

Oh, and they boast support for Epson, whereas most Epson printers indeed are supported natively. For me, turboprint goes on the same pile as linuxant - if you just happen to have hardware that doesn't work properly in any other way, it may be a solution.

But if you are shopping for hardware, vote with your money for the manufacturers that really support Linux.

I think the topicstarter is in the latter situation.

Jeroen, vote wisely, each euro counts once. ;)

somewhere there's a thread I started about this. Unlike others, the epsons absolutely sucked with photos. I tried 2, the C62 and C82. HP all the way for photos. A year ago I believe it was the HP 9000? that was top dog for photo quality in linux. But even my 4 year old HP 932C whooped the epsons.

Hmm, I have the older stylus color 740, it's fine imho, but then again, I haven't really compared to newer photoprinters, and this is not a real photoprinter... Depends on lots of factors, incl papertype...

With epson (and hp) you should be able to achieve the quality you see in the shop, which is not sure with turboprint if you don't pay..

OK.

looking through the manufacturers websites I found officious drivers from Epson, official drivers from HP and nothing at all from Canon except from "we do not have drivers".

Down with Canon (for the printer).

The linux-rinting.org seems to say both Epson and HP print equally good. Epson through the gimp-print and HP through their HPIJS.

Spec and price-wise I'll probably go for the Epson R200 or R300.

If anyone has one of those...?

and off course: thanks all for the replies.