Can't see MDK box from Win side of intranet!

Guest Anatida

Guest Anatida

Ok, I'm BRAND NEW to Linux. This is like my 2nd day. I've searched for the answers, and tried many variations(alternate packages) to solve this problem, but to no avail.

We have an 8 computer Windows network, on a Wireless DSL ISP. Our Router acts as the firewall & DHCP for this network.

I've tried all of the features, even completely disabling the firewall on the Linux box, but I still cannot even ping it from my windows XP Pro machine (the only one I've tried from). The Linux (Mandrake 10.1 Community) has access to the internet, it can ping the other machines on my intranet, and can even VNC into them. But I CAN'T get into the linux box.

By using the web browser & the Linux's internal IP I can get the temporary Apache Web Server page. That is the most response I can get from it. Services says that VNC is running. I've tried the KDE Remote server. The vnccofig file says that it is listening for VNC connections on port 5801, and for http connections on 5901. I cannot find a smb.config file as I've read somewhere I should have...

I'm trying to get this thing set up as a server. I won't be on it much. All access will be done remotely after setup. So this is a huge problem!

PLEASE HELP!

If you are looking to create network sharing folders on the Linux box, you need to have a Samba server (smbd) running and create a Samba user to identify the Windows machines when they access it. The Mandrake Control Center isn't great for setting this up, I'd recommend an excellent tool called webmin which is available in the main FTP repository. It lets you control a range of computer functions through a web interface on https://localhost:10000 - which of course means you can remote-access it if required. See what you think - trust me, I'm no network guru myself esp. on Linux, but I found it relatively easy this way.

Guest Anatida

Thanks for the suggestion Havin_it!

I actually tried Webmin yesterday. But the install would never finish. I kept getting an "error in scriptlet ... stage 2"

Any ideas? I'll check the Webmin forums & try re-downloading it.

Guest Anatida

Well I downloaded the tar.gz version of Webmin. It installed & is running great!

So... this will allow me to administer the functions of the server, but what about applications I'm running on the box? (I'm still looking at it) And now to figure out how to mount filesystems from the windows boxes. I'm probably going about that bassackwards. :cheeky:

Havin_it is correct in that you need samba installed for file access to and from windows,

but I was under the impression that you're having troubles accessing the linux box from windows, and samba won't help here.

You must have some access rule to prevent logging in to the mandrake computer, and with the firewall off, you got me stumped too.

LinNeighborhood works well for file access if (and when) you get your Lin-Win network running.

I'm a bit confused with your VNC problem. Can you access linux from windows using VNC?

I got VNC working (as root :screwy: ) from windows.

I used RealVNC viewer from windows to control mdk10.1 with no problems.

With samba installed you don't really need to mount any filesystems, just the directory you want to access.

Windows will share all the directories you allow in you smb.conf file in linux.

I strongly recommend you try SWAT for samba config first time around, only because the help file is better.

Edited by arthurking