Network Transfer Speeds

alloneword

Ok, I've set up my headless bit torrent box.

It is a rather modest box, just a PIII 800 and 64MB ram.

It is mdk 9.2 PowerPack but doesn't include X or anything. Just apache

with some mods like php and mysql. (don't ask about why I am using 9.2, it was my fourth install today, went through MDK10 OE, MDK10.1 CE, and slackware 10 (twice).)

The box itself seems to be working fine. Torrenting is working fine.

But when I try to copy the files back onto my computer it takes for ever.

I've tried transffering files through nfs, smb, and ftp (proftp).

When copying through ftp the speeds sits just below 50kbs (kilobytes),

never going higher.

Through NFS it would jump between 50kbs to 200+kbs (but never higher than 300kbs) and the overall transfer time was that for transfering the file at the average between the peak and the lower limit (around 125ish kbs), smb was slow like ftp, never getting above 50kbs.

I've looked at top on the torrent box, and the cpu is about 97% idle when

copying files.

(From a reply in another forum: the card is a Realtek 8029(AS), DMA is ON on the HDD.

I am also running WELL LOW on ram, but the swapspace hasn't been touched yet.)

Does anyone have any ideas??

Another quick question, i am trying to kill a bunch of services at boot,

is it safe not to start kheader?? I am thinking it is, as the box is just sitting there, and I am not messing around with the kernel.

Thanks.

Edited by alloneword

alloneword said:

Yeah, we down here in australia most of the torrents move at a very slow pace any way .......

I rekon it's coz the northern hemisphere-ians have isolated the magnetic 'Flux Unit Component Kernel Energy Diffuser' particles in gravity itself and have reversed the effects of gravity in the southern hemisphere, from a treatment plant in the Woomera region.

Now everything is being sucked up there, while we languish down here with very little or nothing!

this may seem a little 'sensationalist conspiracy theory' now!... but some day 'THEY' are going to make a TV series based on this theory!..........I hope :P

or,

Maybe this said router is just slow!

When you say " when I try to copy the files back onto my computer " I'm assuming on your LAN...... to a windows box ??

When you say " when I try to copy the files back onto my computer " I'm assuming on your LAN...... to a windows box ??

Nahh, to my linux box.

here are the details at the moment.

scp - 39kbs

NFS - 100-200kbs

smb - 30-39kbs

fpt - 39kbs

I have checked the config for ssh, sshd at both ends, and no where has it set the max bandwidth. Same for ftp.

It downloads torrents faster than it gives them back to me :) well except for nfs.

But I have had about 200kbs total downloads on torrents, about 4 or so torrents all at around 50ish.

But then it slows WAY down when I try to copy them back.

I have tried through my 10base hub, and through a cross over cable, didn't see any speed difference.

I am going to go and get a 10/100 card on the weekend and try that with a crossover. I have a 10/100 card, but the one in the BT box is a Realtek 8029(AS)

(The box was built from random bits I could find for it.)

Cheers.

OK, I tried some new things today.

I can run multiple scp transfers at the one time. and all run at the same speed, never going over the 39kbs, but in totaling however many transfers I am running times the 39kbs.

I still have not found anything in any config that limits the speed, and I have tried using -l 500 on the command line when transferring stuff.