Unable to shutdown / logoff

Guest ethrbunny

Guest ethrbunny

Using v9 - I start the system, make sure that no apps are on the desktop and click "logoff" from the menu The system essentially locks up - the mouse still works but nothing will start. The system never logs off. Same goes for 'Logoff-shutdown' and restart. No go.

Suggestions on how to debug this problem?

actually that doesnt solve any problem about why he cant shutdown or logoff
Is that right? How do you know?

By issuing these commands in a term, should it fail (most likely won't) errors should be more detailed and easily accessible, hopefully pointing out the problem. Otherwise you'll have to call the dm from a term with it's commands and hope to get output to the prob.

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...7310&highlight=

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...1926&highlight=

I was thinking this was the nature of his problem.

And of course you could be right. It could be a problem with that, but if on selecting logout from the kde menu what would happen is..(IMHO)

1. KDE does its bit closoing files whatever,

2. kde exits and then X

3. hes back to the shell or to his kdm /gdm.

on saying init 3 or shutdown -r now etc. he will never get any kde related error messages. the pc will do a straight shutdown or init 3 killing all the processes it has to. If the error was with kde or whatever Wm hes using youll never know with init 3 or shutdown.

by the way to logout from a terminal you use 'logout'. xterm konsole etc are terminal emulators not terminals. Try saying logout in an xterm and youll see what i meant from my first reply.

Also to get back to the topic, ethrbunny try this.....

when you start the pc and you get a mouse pointer such as when kde starts up press ctrl-alt-bkspc to kill it. then login to gnome or black box or something. then im sure youll be able to logoff.

anyway i hope that helps a bit

Yuk! I went to the links. Didn't read in detail, but has anyone tried xdm?

on saying init 3 or shutdown -r now etc. he will never get any kde related error messages. the pc will do a straight shutdown or init 3 killing all the processes it has to.If the error was with kde or whatever Wm hes using youll never know with init 3 or shutdown.
That's the idea. It helps eliminates the possibility of the problem being with the kernel and hopefully the video card/X. First thing's first.

by the way to logout from a terminal you use 'logout'. xterm konsole etc are terminal emulators not terminals. Try saying logout in an xterm and youll see what i meant from my first reply.
Well, lets try to focus on the prob instead of picking at the slightest detail of nothing. The subject is going from X to anywhere but X. So we wouldn't be in console. Did I say Ctrl>Alt>F2 to a terminal? No, I said "Open a terminal". That can only mean one thing. I have never seen anyone say "open a terminal emulator". Say that to a most new linux users, and what do you think their next question will be.