gdesklets errors

Guest quik

I made this post way too long so I added notes for each paragraph to sum it up so you can skip to the part you'd like to read.

(Newbie Intro, skip to next paragraph for problem)

Hello all, can't believe it took me this long to find this forum. Looks like it will be very helpful. I recently installed Mandrake 10.1 Community on my eMachines M2350 laptop. Overall I've been very pleased with Mandrake compared to many others I tried. My only real complaint is my audio doesn't work (yet) but I will post that in another thread. Great forum too.

(Preface to problem; skip ahead to next paragraph for what I think is the main problem)

I'd never heard of gdesklets until I tried to start it from my gnome menu. It appears that the server will start since I can see the icon at the bottom, but the window that opens never fullly loads before I get some generic error about this application closing unexpectedly. So I tried to start it from the console as a regular user. I can get the server to start just fine with the "gdesklets start" command. I can even load some (all I've tried so far except starterbar) applets with the "gdesklets-add". They are all really flaky though. Most of the time if I try to do anything other than load them (ie configure them) they just quit on me with the same error.

(Main Problem)

After screwing around I tried "gdesklets shell" after the server had been started and I get this:

(gDesklets Shell:27065): GConf-CRITICAL **: file gconf-client.c: line 547 (gconf_client_add_dir): assertion `gconf_valid_key (dirname, NULL)' failed

I searched around for this error and couldn't really find anything useful. I'm assuming that is probably also why I'm having so many other little errors with gdesklets?

I spent quite some time with urpmi uninstalling and reinstalling to make sure I had all the right packages installed properly. Also, I tried installing gDesklets-0.31.1.tar.bz2 and the ./configure fails with:

configure: error: Library requirements (pygtk-2.0 >= 2.0.0 gtk+-2.0 librsvg-2.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

even though I'm pretty sure I have all of that installed (according to urpmi)

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LinuxRocks

I was having the same issues with gdesklets and I went to upgrade gnome, but I only see 2.6 in rpmdrake search. How would you go about installing 2.8?

Thanks!!!

Joe

Guest LinuxRocks

Ok, I'm a complete noob with Mandrake. Comming from a Gentoo install and all.. How would I go about adding that to my rpmdrake list? I tried:

urpmi.addmedia contrib http://wwwra.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~wa...drake/gnome2.7/ with media_info/hdlist.cz

and it didnt work. Said that there was already a contrib or something like that.

Thanks!!!

Joe

Guest LinuxRocks

Ok, when I do that, I get this error:

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "gnome2.8"...

http://wwwra.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~wa..._info/hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404

retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "gnome2.8"

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.gnome2.8.cz]

problem reading synthesis file of medium "gnome2.8"

unable to update medium "gnome2.8"

Thanks!!!

Joe

I asked because on both ubuntu and mandrake I get

(gDesklets Shell:27065): GConf-CRITICAL **: file gconf-client.c: line 547 (gconf_client_add_dir): assertion `gconf_valid_key (dirname, NULL)' failed

as root, and more errors....and gdesklets doesn't work. I also get the error as user but gdeklets works.

gdesklet/mandrake has always beed a bugger and I'd imagine even more so with hacked rpms. Cooker has gnome-2.8 and I'd go hat route and have, removing the hacked up gnome-2.8 rpms and reinstalling gnome-2.8 from cooker.

might find an answer here

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=23

there's a mandrake thread

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5285