Had enough of rc5

mdg

I'm having various problems with KDE 3.1rc5 which I don't feel up to tackling at this stage. I had 3.04 before and it was pretty stable. What I want to do is uninstall 3.1, then install 3.05.

I jumped in the deep end installing 3.1 without asking advice and with limited information. The result was Mdk reinstall.

So, I'm now asking advice, how would I go about wiping out 3.1 putting in 3.05?

Also where are the 3.05 rpms?

Hmm.. I have no problems whatsoever with KDE 3.1 RC5. Where did you get the rpms? Did you delete the .kde and .kde-2 directories before running it?

Anyway, I guess to uninstall kde 3.1, if you use rpms you can just urpme the kde* , lisa* and arts* and libarts* rpms. It's a lot safer, I think, if you can enter a different gui like gnome and use the mandrake control panel to uninstall the rpms.

Anyway, this is one of the links I found for kde 3.0.5 rpms.. note that this is not the newer 3.0.5a rpms.. I guess mandrake doesn't make them.

http://jungle.metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/di....0.5/RPMS/i586/

Hope it helps.

I used Texstars rpms and no, I didn't unload .kde before. I've since done the whole thing over (details here http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=2000)

but there are still problems.

Kpackage won't uninstall programs and still lists them as installed even after I've deleted them with urpme.

Krusader won't work, desktop fonts look terrible, plus a few other little things.

I'll wait until KDE3.1 becomes official

Thanks for the 3.05 link

Your symptoms are classical for some "mixed" rpm's. I stopped using kpackage at 8.1, because I prefered the command line methods. Sometimes the gui's, included Mandrake update, have odd problems. When urpmi came out, it dramatically improved the depends problem.

Anytime you upgrade kde, it is best to look at the kde.org sight, in order to see the list of packages that are needed for the desktop manager. Then, if you go to a Mandrake mirror, you can easily pick out all the rpm's that are needed in order to install or upgrade kde.

I am concerned that you are having problems, and that maybe they are related to the depends that package manager programs try to list for you. If you forced any packages, you will likely miss functionality. If it says it needs xxx.rpm to work, believe it!

I have used most of the new kde rpm's since 3.1beta1. The rc5 release is ready to go. So, I would encourage you to take a deep breath, and allow us here to help you through this. I can't tell you how many times I break my box and look up the fixes and fix it! You learn this way, and most here have learned linux just like this.

The KDE3.0.5 install went smoothly and I have all my programs and functionality back - makes me happy

I'm willing to have another go at 3.1 (it's just a computer, right?), I'll post again after work for details on how to go about it

I am using kde3.1rc5 currently (using the rpms from ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/d...de-3.1-rc5/RPMS ). I don't rely on the buggy GUI-based tools that mandrake supplies. I use good old rpm from the command line and have never had problems upgrading or installing kde. A precaution I always use is to quit KDE and then upgrade KDE. After all, upgrading a binary when its running may create some problems.

The only thing I disliked about the kde3.1rc5 rpms is that kdebase needs htdig which in turn needs libstdc++2.10-2.96. Now, what is a gcc-2.96 relic doing in a distro based on gcc-3.2 ??!!

The noarch files are rpms that are compiled without any specific machine or architecture (such as i386, i586, athlon, etc). From the list, it consists of the language file (for example, if you want an English language kde you should install kde-i18n-en_GB-3.1-0.rc5.1mdk.noarch.rpm). Also you should install the last two files on the list which is kde-servicemenu and mandrake-mime.