Problem Mounting Drive [SOLVED]

YaAqoB

Hello all. I'm a Brand New Convert to Mandrake 10.1 from Win XP Pro and am having a few problems getting going.

My hard drives are setup as follows.

The Master Pri Hard drive has a NTFS Partition with XP Installed.

It also has a 500meg Linux Swap Partition and an ext3 Linux partition with Mandrake 10.1 installed.

The Pri slave hard drive has a NTFS partition with all my Windows applications installed and a NTFS partition with all my music and movies on.

The Secondary Master hard drive has a FAT32 partition with move movies on it and a ext3 Linux Partition for all my linux stuff.

Now when running Mandrake I have mounted the NTFS "Stuff" hard drive as well as the FAT32 "Movies" and ext3 "Linux Stuff" hard drives into /mnt.

I have given my user name full access/permissions to the /mnt.

I can access all these above mounted drives fine, except when I reset the PC and try to open up the FAT32 mounted drive I get an access error, but all the other mounted drives in /mnt I can access fine. If I unmout it then remount it I get full access fine untill the next reset.

Does anybody have any ideas? I just can't see why the one drive is causing me grief & the others working fine. Its Driving me up the wall. :wall:

Thanks Heaps.

hi there :)

your /etc/fstab file could be the troublemaker. a common entry for fat32 partitions would be e.g.

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win1 vfat user,noauto,exec 0 0

you have to change the hdb1 entry according to your system. also: don't forget to add the user to the user-groups that are needed for access. as long as the user is in the "user" group, it should work with the above mentioned configuration, but it would be a good idea if you show us your /etc/fstab file. ;)

To tell you the truth I'm not using the commands. Thats still really new to me :unsure:

I'm going into the "Configure your Computer" and going to partitions and then clicking on the partition I want to mount and then clicking the mount button. Its worked fine for all the other mounted drives so I'm not sure why this is different. If someone could tell me the commands to display my fstab file I'll paste it when I get home from work.

Thanks again. :D

Lots of ways to do it. Open a console and run:

$ cat /etc/fstab

Or open konqueror by clicking on the "Home" icon and navigate to /etc and click on the fstab file. Fstab is just a text configuration file; doing the foregoing will cause fstab to be displayed in kwrite, a text editor.

Once the fstab text is displayed, just highlight all the text by moving the your mouse pointer over the text and click away somewhere on your desktop to make the highlighting go away. That copies the text to your clipboard. When you make your post, just click your wheel and the fstab text will be pasted in the post. If you don't have a wheel mouse, click the right and left mouse buttons together to paste the text.

Hi again.

Here is the contents of my fstab file.

/dev/hda6 / reiserfs notail 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdd5 /mnt/Linux\040Stuff reiserfs notail 1 2

/dev/hdd1 /mnt/Movies vfat defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb5 /mnt/Stuff ntfs defaults,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sdf1 /mnt/removable auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

Hope this is what you need.

Thanks again

This is the line you want to change:

/dev/hdd1 /mnt/Movies vfat defaults 0 0

You will need to edit that line to this:

/dev/hdd1 /mnt/Movies vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

That will give all users read/write access to the partition. Your hard drive is configured Secondary Slave by the way(hdd) and your cdrom is Secondary Master(hdc).

You need to be root to edit this file. Open a console and run:

$ kdesu konqueror

Enter your root password when prompted and konqueror will come up with root privileges. Navigate to /etc/fstab and click on fstab and it will come up in kwrite with root privileges. Make the above edit and save the changes. Reboot and the new settings will take effect.

Edited by pmpatrick