Mandrake 10 on Satelllite 5205-s703

Guest Kolmeck

Guest Kolmeck

Yeah, I'm a new user to linux in general, heard Mandrake was one of the more user friendly distros. so what I need help is if anyone else with this laptop has installed and configured it to work with the Satellite. I've gotten several programs (FnFx, Akpi, ToshUtilis and more) to try and use to get hotkeys and powermanagment to work. I'm using the 2.6.3 kernal, so I have the intergrated Acpi working, though I can't seem to get the Toshiba_acpi to load on boot. there fore I have to Modprobe it everytime I boot into linux. also the Cpad doesn't work in Mandrake, and acts as if its a normal mouse, making the cursor bounce around the screen whenever you place your finger somewhere else on the pad. not exactly Toshiba specific I have Cedega and Point2Play for windows apps and games, though I havn't the slightest idea how to compile and install them. also have a Driverloader program to load windows drivers for stuff that doesn't work in linux ( I.E. My creative labs notebook webcamera). Any help with those would be greatly appriecated, or even ways to reinstall Mandrake and integrate them on install. Hell, any help period linux would be helpfull o.0 thanks!

Hey, you got the same notebook as I have :)

Anyway, to load toshiba_acpi everytime you boot, put it in /etc/modprobe.preload file. Don't forget to put yenta_socket also in that file or else the pcmcia cards won't work.

Cpad doesn't work that well in kernel 2.6 I'm afraid. There is a patch to make it work as intended (that is the middle button works) but it requires compiling the kernel.

Anyway, if you haven't read it yet, go to http://www.janerob.com/rob/ts5100/index.shtml

It's the best resource for making linux runs on this laptop. Too bad it's for kernel 2.4, but with a little luck and effort, you can make it work for kernel 2.6 also.

Good luck

Guest Kolmeck

Hey!

Thanks Dragonmage, Toshiba_acpi loads like a charm now.. thank god I can change the brightness some how now, it was really killing my eyes trying to read and type with the brightness on 4 o.0 now on to getting these programs working ^^

one curiousity though, have you had any trouble with the Nvidia linux driver not working? right I have a generic one that comes with Mandrake 10, but it doesn't support openGL and all that. I've gotten the driver to work, but for some reason it doesn't seem to want to on this latest install. it will go through the boot sequence then goes black like its going to go to the X server, but instead, just blinks the screen a few times then goes to command prompt instead. I do have the Kernel sources installed (made that mistake a few times before) so i'm not quite sure what it is. oh and the driver was changed from the generic driver to the nvidia one in the XFCONFIG86-4 file, which is the one my X server uses

plus I seem to be having some troubles compling some programs as they need a libGL that it says it can't find. I can't seem to find the package to install on the mandrake cds. any idea how I could aquire it?

Edited by Kolmeck

• 2 weeks later...

When I had MDK10.0 OE on my Toshiba 5xxx laptop last April, DragonMage pointed me to a site to download an upgraded kernel .rpm that was above the 2.6.5. After doing so, there were many times (but not evertime) that I had to use command mode as root to reinstall the Nvidia driver that I had downloaded for 3-D Acceleration, then switch to user and type "startx". It only took about 90 seconds to do, but was still a slight inconvenience.

Unfortunately I wiped out all my distros on my Toshiba, installed MDK 10.1 OE on hda5 (& left partitions for other distros, which I haven't installed) and the boot up freezes on "Checking new hardware....". The one time I was able to get into KDE, I tried to launch Mandrake Control Center and upon its launching, the computer froze and I never was able to get into MCC.

UGH!!!