DNS Settings [SOLVED]

Guest Tilt

:wall: I'm hoping someone can help. I have a web server used mainly for community sites plus our own commercial sites. I have in the past had some issues with ADSL suppliers going down and leaving me off the air for some time. I run my own NS servers as well. I decided to install a second ADSL connection to a different supplier to allow me some redundancy. I have multiple Public IP's from both suppliers and set up my dns settings to reflect 2 IP's for each domain name. When I do an nslookup externaly of my connection you can see both IP's, but if the connection of the first IP registered, goes down, the browser does not automatically check the second IP. I have manually changed the setting in the dns files to individually go to each of the IP's I want to use, restarted named and waited 30 minutes to resync ( this is the setting I used for testing) and I have been able to get the browser to connect to the site on each of the IP's, so I know my connections are working OK, I've obviously missed something strategic in the set-up and would hope someone can help. Both NS server records are identical (except for the SOA records, reflecting the server). My NS1 and NS2 servers are on different ADSL connections. I'm running apache for my web and the IP's are in the virtual host settings. I'm using Mandrake 10.0 on all my servers except my ns2, this now has 10.1

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Edited by Tilt

Thanks, but I already have these entries. My problem is that if one of the IP's is not available, then there is no way the dns server knows this and can continue to point traffic to the IP that is down. I Have found what I need to know and that is to have my 2 dns servers set up with different IP's and to have them on the corresponding ADSL connections. Also to bring down my refresh time in my entries.

Thanks again.