10.1 official on acer aspire 2012

Guest totolabo

Guest totolabo

I have installed Mandrake 10.1 official (new install)

no problems occurred during the installation process and most hardware has been

automatically recognized and properly configured (ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, ati radeon 9700 card, dvd, firewire, usb, sound, touchpad, flash memory reader,...)

what does not work :

ACPI, at least not properly : hibernate or suspend make the laptop crash (impossible to recover), the fan is continuously working (at moderate speed) even without cpu activity making the laptop very noisy. This is a serious problem to me. if anyone has any advice ...

irda : it needs smc-ircc module which is not included.

The booting time is very long, more than 90 seconds, compared to mdk 10.0.

On the software side, I feel that the system does not respond quickly, as if it wakes up at (almost) each command I make.

openoffice also boot very slowly (I first thought it freezed): more than one minute is needed while no abnormal cpu activity is detected.

Guest linubold

Hi,

ACPI, at least not properly : hibernate or suspend make the laptop crash (impossible to recover), the fan is continuously working (at moderate speed) even without cpu activity making the laptop very noisy. This is a serious problem to me. if anyone has any advice ...

as root type urpmi acpi. Maybe the system tells you, that it is already installed. In case it ist not, it will ask for the cd. Afterwards configure the bootloader (e.g. lilo) in the Mandrake Control Center. Be sure that acpi is activated. Enable also the acpi service in Mandrake Control Center - System - Services.

Have a look on /var/log/boot.log. Is the system trying to activate an internet-connection or a lan-connection?

On the software side, I feel that the system does not respond quickly, as if it wakes up at (almost) each command I make.

Is your X configured correctly? Have you tried with another configuration of your graphic card?

Good luck.

no problems occurred during the installation process and most hardware has been

automatically recognized and properly configured (ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, ati radeon 9700 card, dvd, firewire, usb, sound, touchpad, flash memory reader,...)

what does not work :

If you are using ATI's proprietary driver, I don't think suspend works. Are you using regular Radeon driver?

irda : it needs smc-ircc module which is not included.

I am not at my Mandrake box right now, but in kernel 2.6, the name of the module is changed from smc-ircc to something else. Install kernel-source and then search for the module name by su as root, go to /usr/src/linux directory and type make xconfig or make menuconfig.

openoffice also boot very slowly (I first thought it freezed): more than one minute is needed while no abnormal cpu activity is detected.

Now the slowness is weird. Is it an upgrade or clean install?

Guest totolabo

If you are using ATI's proprietary driver, I don't think suspend works. Are you using regular Radeon driver?

I tried both driver, the suspend still make my system suspend, then it is impossible to recover...

I precise that the ACPI service is on:

cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info

processor id:            0

acpi id:                 0

bus mastering control:   yes

power management:        yes

throttling control:      yes

limit interface:         yes

Now the slowness is weird. Is it an upgrade or clean install?

it is a clean install.

Such slowness does not occur with mandrake 10.0.

At boot time, I noticed that the system takes very long time to launch netprofiles. Maybe the problem is there but I have no idea about what to do.

My guess for slow boot time is trying to find a network connection. I set my wireless to not run at boot. otherwise it looks for a wireless network and takes forever to pick up stuff.

openoffice isn't fast...but over a minute seems alittle long.

good luck with it all.

Guest totolabo

thanks for your answer but it is not a network problem : I already set my wireles not to run at boot.

this problem does not appear with mdk 10.0...

About openoffice, I do not have explanation, but today is okay ( it started in 20 seconds)...

For OpenOffice.org, there is a bug in it that makes OO slower and slower to open as you use it more and more. I am not sure whether that bug is fixed in the version Mandrake 10.1 uses, but here is the explanation of the bug and how to fix it.

In your /home/<user>/.openoffice/user/psprint directory, there is a file named pspfontcache. As OO is started more and more, the size of that file will get bigger and bigger, thus making OO slower and slower to start.

The solution is this, delete that file first. Then, start OO. The file will be rebuilt, but smaller. Then make that file read only to keep the size small.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having ATI Radeon AGP 320M and mdk 10.1 on Compaq Presario 900 AMD 1.33 GHz. Now I'm using Xorg radeon driver. The laptop suspends nicely but when trying to recover, not only screen but whole system freezes. Hibhernate causes kernel panic.

For OpenOffice.org, there is a bug in it that makes OO slower and slower to open as you use it more and more. I am not sure whether that bug is fixed in the version Mandrake 10.1 uses, but here is the

It seems to be fixed. I deleted the file as per your instruction and restarted OO. New file was exactly the same size as earlier file. And still the startup is very slow - 82 seconds.

Guest lformaggia

Sorry, I am new of the system so maybe I have posted this twice. Anyway, I have an Aspire 2012 with Mandarke 10.1 official and I have this problem of very slow boot time.

I think I tracked down the problem on the udev system. Look at this snapshot of /var/log/messages

Dec 4 09:32:37 minnie rc.sysinit: Enabling swap space: succeeded

Dec 4 09:32:38 minnie mandrake_everytime: Starting netprofile: succeeded

Dec 4 09:32:38 minnie init: Entering runlevel: 5

Dec 4 09:34:40 minnie udev: Start udev succeeded

1 minute for udev to start!!!

Could it be because our laptops do not have floppies and udev is busily trying to find them? If so, is there a workaround or a fix? Thanks a lot

Luca

Guest lformaggia

Meat for gurus:

I have switched on logging of the udev system. Here a snapshot of the logs

Dec 4 13:49:09 minnie udev[2091]: creating device node '/dev/ts1'

Dec 4 13:49:09 minnie udev[2105]: configured rule in '/etc/udev/rules.d/01-devfs.rules' at line 25 applied, added symlink 'loop/%n' <30>Dec 4 13:51:07 udev[2105]: creating device node '/dev/loop6'

Dec 4 13:49:09 minnie udev[2089]: configured rule in '/etc/udev/rules.d/00-lsb.rules' at line 44 applied, 'event2' becomes 'input/%k' <30>Dec 4 13:51:07 udev[2089]: creating device node '/dev/input/event2'

Dec 4 13:49:09 minnie udev[2106]: configured rule in '/etc/udev/rules.d/01-devfs.rules' at line 25 applied, added symlink 'loop/%n' <30>Dec 4 13:51:07 udev[2106]: creating device node '/dev/loop7'

Dec 4 13:51:07 minnie udev[2083]: configured rule in '/etc/udev/rules.d/00-lsb.rules' at line 44 applied, 'event1' becomes 'input/%k' <30>Dec 4 13:51:07 udev[2083]: creating device node '/dev/input/event1'

Dec 4 13:51:07 minnie udev[2086]: creating device node '/dev/nvram'

Dec 4 13:51:07 minnie udev[2087]: configured rule in '/etc/udev/rules.d/01-devfs.rules' at line 49 applied, added symlink 'misc/agpgart' <30>Dec 4 13:51:07 udev[2087]: creating device node '/dev/agpgart'

Dec 4 13:51:07 minnie udev[2082]: configured rule in '/etc/udev/rules.d/00-lsb.rules' at line 44 applied, 'event0' becomes 'input/%k' <30>Dec 4 13:51:07 udev[2082]: creating device node '/dev/input/event0'

Dec 4 13:51:07 minnie udev[2090]: creating device node '/dev/ts0'

You may note that it teakes 1 minute (more likely some timeout) between the creation of

/dev/loop7

and

/dev/input/event1

Any clue on what's happening? With 10.1 community (I was using devfs, I guess) the boot was fast and this problem was not present.

For the rest the laptop is working fine. Still not able to suspend, but for me is of minor importance. The ong boot time is not, unfortunately.

Thanks for your time.

Luca

Guest totolabo

I would like to add few remarks about mandrake10.1 on aspire 2012 :

1 - I previously wrote that firewire works fine, but even if the modules were correctly loaded, I could not capture from my camcorder because the device /dev/raw1394 does not exist !

By chance I found how to create the nodes with

mknod /dev/raw1394 c 171 0ut

chmod 666 /dev/raw1394

then the capture was ok.

but, i have to create the node at each boot...

2 - I was annoyed by the continuous rotating and noisy fan. I tried the cpu throttling with klaptop, but all got was a slow and still noisy laptop. I finally found cpudyn, that solved my problem. Now my aspire is totally silent. Furthermore the latency I observed disappeared. :banana:

I am pretty sure that could be done without cpudyn, nevertheless, for now, I'm happy with this solution.

I am now quite happy with 10.1 on aspire, except the still annoying slow boot...

Looks like a udev bug, might be worth searching qa.mandrakesoft.com to see if it's been posted yet.

(/dev entries on mandrake from 10.1 onwards are created dynamically on boot by udev; obviously it ought to create a raw1394 entry when the kernel is told to load the firewire module, but equally obviously it doesn't).

a 'cleaner' hack than the rc.local one would be to edit the udev rules - located in /etc/udev - to create the device when the firewire modules are loaded. But this should be done by MDKsoft, as I said, so if it isn't, it's a bug. Search Bugzilla, if there's not a bug for this already, submit one, and with any luck it'll be fixed for 10.2 :)