Disabled on-board SATA stealing /dev/hda

Guest themacmeister

Guest themacmeister

I have recently done a fresh install of Mandrake 10.0 Community.

Apart from the fglrx drivers not working (surprise, surprise) I was stunned to see that my DVD-Burner (located at ide1:1) doesn't show up or appear to work at all.

the other CD-Burner at /dev/hdb works beautifully but:

the dvd-burner at /dev/hda is non existant (at least it says /dev/hda in /etc/fstab)

I haven't used a 2.6 kernel before, but I understand that IDE drives should now be fine, and do not require the ide=scsi line in LILO.

If this is the case, is it feasible that the drive is in fact /dev/sd0 or something lame.

Any help appreciated, as I am very very confused, and have not had this problem with Mandrake 9.0, 9.1 or 9.2 :-(

themacmeister

Edited by themacmeister

could you please post the contents of /etc/fstab? open it with a text editor & copy/paste here. or, in terminal as root do........ cat /etc/fstab, & copy/paste.

Chris

Guest themacmeister

I am away from the computer at the moment, and I am planning to put the two hard disks back on the primary IDE bus before posting what may be an unnecessary call for help. I am worried that this may kill all my OS in one hit, but swapping back should rectify the problem (I hope). I'll back up my XP system partition just to be sure. I have to change IDE cables and settings to flash the BIOS anyways.

From memory, fstab did not include the cd at all, and there was only /mnt/cdrom. No /dev nodes, or /proc for any other ide or scsi drives (except existing IDE hard disks). There is a startup error with modules ide-disk and ide-probe in syslog and dmsg. I will swap the IDE buses and see if that helps the equation :-/

Being an LG drive, I would hope that they had resolved their problems with Mandrake installs. There is however a very slight chance that a bootloader was installed in the DVD-burner's BIOS. Very slim, but very possible. 9.2 recently fried a brand new LG cd-rom beyond recovery :-(. I may re-flash the computer BIOS, and/or the DVD-R BIOS if things do not improve...

If this doesn't work, I will post the relevant syslog lines. Many thanks.

themacmeister

Guest themacmeister

UPDATE: I just found some interesting ideas after reading about a user with an almost identical motherboard in the Tips&Tricks forum. He said that his (and my) version of the kernel (2.6.3-x) was causing his mobo's SATA RAID (disabled in BIOS) to be set at /dev/hda.

*This pushed his existing hdd to become /dev/hde*

He managed to circumvent this problem by downloading and compiling the newest stable 2.6 kernel. I am not a linux guru, but I do believe that this is definitely the cause of my /dev/hda problems, and I will endeavour to prove this tonight with a new kernel build. I am not using SATA or RAID, and don't intend to in my lifetime :-) so I *should* be able to disable these completely in the kernel build.

If this turns out to be the culprit, and it has affected at least one or two other users of MDK 10.0 CE on the same motherboard then maybe it should be added to the 10.0 CE errata docs?! What do you think?

themacmeister

Guest themacmeister

UPDATE:

I haven't found time to try any of the possible solutions in the previous post, and I am currently downloading 10.1CE, in the misguided hope that it has a much more recent Kernel version. I will do some Google research into the kernel version and see what it says. My 10.0CE was a pre-release magazine cover CD set, and may have contained extra bugs not in the 'official' 10.0CE release. The CD will not boot the computer for a start.

I have a solid procedure now for the setup of soundcard and videocard, although my Radeon9800SE shifts the 640x480 screen 2 inches to the right, which my NVidia GeForce4MX did not with the same XFree86Config setup for the monitor. The default Radeon setup doesn't even have a 640x480 mode in the xf86config file fglrxconfig creates. Serves me right for upgrading what was a perfectly working 3D card :-)

I will try enabling SATA, which adds a couple of seconds to startup time, and see what my current install does. I am loathe to change anything, for fear of not only breaking my Linux install, but also my WinXP install. I will definitely try enabling SATA in the BIOS, and see how far that takes me.

I am assuming the system will automagically see any changes? or is there a program I must run to do this (kudzu? harddrake2?) anyone???

themacmeister