RedHat 8: Updated Kernel - X wont start

ral

This is a long one.

Updated my RH8 through the RedHat Network up2date utility (Kernel 2.4.18-19.8.0). However, I was not able to start x. The configuration wizard was not able to fix the problem either.

RedHat 8 default install desktop install (Gnome)/2.4.18-14

GeForce 2MX

Set Vsync and Hsync rates as per monitor specs (MAG770FS)

Added NVidia 3123 drivers

Added KPPP

Added Xine

When I booted with the original RH8 Kernel everything went fine. I figured that my inability to Start X could be becuase of the NVidia 3123 drivers to I tried to disable them by changing "nvidia" back to "nv" (in oding so destorying my pre-nvidia XF86Config).

The result was I could not startx with either kernel. Well I am still a newbie and an impatient one at that.

To fix the problem I tired using vi, but I could not figure out how to use it, so intead, I restored my backup XF86COnfig:

rm XF86Config

mv XF86Config.backup XF86Config

Now I got the original RH8 Kernel working again...whew...

Would be grateful for any advice on how to get Gnome working with the new kernel.

Thanks.

Hi ral

I'm not sure at all of what I'm going to write here so take it with a grain of salt.

When I compiled the kernel, about 1 month ago, I had to recompile the nvidia driver for X to work. So if you downloaded the .rpm for RH8 on the nvidia website, it will not works. This driver has been compiled with the default RH8 kernel. So download the Kernel module and the GLX extention (in .src.rpm format) and recompile them.

Here is what I would do:

-Downlaod the kernel module and the GLX extension in .src.rpm format.

-Boot the new kernel

-Recompile the two .src.rpm files you downloaded by typing

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA*

-Remove the existing NVIDIA driver by typing

rpm -e --nodeps NVIDIA_GLX

rpm -e --nodeps NVIDIA_kernel

-Now install the newly compiled driver by typing

rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA*

-Check your XF86Config file for "nvidia" and "load glx" with VI. You have to type

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

to open the file. Now to save and exit you have to press ESC on your keyboard and type :wq (write and quit). To add text you have to press 'a'. To quit without saving you have to press ESC on your keyboad and type :q! (quit without saving you just modified). type 'man vi' for more details about vim.

Hope this help

MOttS

Okay so I am a dummy...

Nvidia Kernel drivers (?) are kernel specific. Manage to get X working on the new kernel by unisntalling the Nvidia drivers from the old kernel.

To get 3D working on the new kernel I would have to download a Nvidia Kernel which is built for my kernel or rebuild one.

Sorry if this sounds a bit confused. But its 6:16 am :)

Got plenty of help from a fellow with the handle Sharaz:

http://www.linuxiso.org/forums/viewtopic.p...p?p=11679#11679

I'd like to see MS do this for a home office user with a single install.

Thanks Motts, I was typing my last message before seeing yours.

Sounds like you got it right. At least that is what I am going to try as soon as I get the new kernel source which I need to rebuild the src.rpm.

Thanks. And thanks for the thorough explanation and detailed instructions.