CD-ROM drive woe

crazyspongebob

Hi all,

I remember posting this problem before but not getting a good answer. Last time I did not have a screenshot of the message. I'll let the picture speak for the problem. I have this problem usually while opening mozilla. When this comes up, I hit the cancel button. The computer slows down considerably. I don't know what happens. I have Mandrake 10.0 on an AMD Athlon 800 with 384 MB RAM. I also have a laptop with PIII 1ghz and 512 MB RAM running Mandrake 10.0 without any problem at all.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

JT

post-6806-1098848550_thumb.jpg

that's just an alert to let you know have put a cd in the drive that conmtains music and data (a mixed cd)...... somewhere in gnome config (i'm a kde user) there will be an option to turn that off surely..... try the gnome help files.

• 2 weeks later...

three things to look in to.........

1. do you have KSCD (KDE's CD player) running & docked in the panel? if so, quit it from the panel. there's an issue with KSCD that will cause the drive to lock if KSCD is running in the panel, even without a CD inserted in the drive.

2. do you have supermount enabled? if so, try disabling it & see if the problem goes away. to do so, in terminal as root do........

supermount -i disable

you can re-enable it if you like by doing.......

supermount -i enable

3. if all of the above fail, do this in terminl as root........

lsof /mnt/cdrom

(replace cdrom with whatever yours is called. IE: cdrom0, cdrom1, etc)

or........

lsof /dev/hdX

(where X is the letter of the device)

lsof stands for LiSt Open Files. it's quite a handy tool. if the command gives you an error "command not found", then you need to install it. to do so, in terminal as root do..........

urpmi lsof

it's on one of the install CD's.

Chris

A thing which comes to mind after seeing your screenshot is that such a cd had both normal cd tracks and also a video clip track which is digital and therefore recognizes it as a data track.

While you can still usually play the cd music tracks, If you try to rip the tracks using GRIP you will have no success. It will not read the music tracks or any tracks. Yet in Windows, that marvellous CDEX ripping program has no difficulty dealing with it at all.

Cheers. John.

1. do you have KSCD (KDE's CD player) running & docked in the panel? if so, quit it from the panel. there's an issue with KSCD that will cause the drive to lock if KSCD is running in the panel, even without a CD inserted in the drive.

I don't have any disk in any of the 2 cdrom drive and KSCD is not running.

So I'll try other options that you point out to see what happens.

Thanx

2. do you have supermount enabled? if so, try disabling it & see if the problem goes away. to do so, in terminal as root do........

supermount -i disable

I've used

supermount -i disable

and it seems to work so far. I guess this is the problem that makes my box hang randomly, and I have to give it a cold reboot. Where should I put this command so when the system boot, it will run without me issuing it.

Thanx,

J.T.

could you please post the contents of /etc/fstab?

Chris

Here is my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda1 swap swap defaults 0 0

and here is my /etc/mtab:

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 / ext3 rw 0 0

none /proc proc rw 0 0

none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0

none /dev devfs rw 0 0

none /sys sysfs rw 0 0

none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0

have you tried the lsof command i suggested when the cdrom is locked? if not, do so while it is locked & post the results here. if that don't pan out, then try editing your cdrom fstab line to look like this.............

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,nosuid,umask=0,user,exec,nodev 0 0

that's from my fstab. almost identical to yours except the "nosuid" & "nodev" entries. i'm not 100% sure, but nosuid is a security feature to prevent just any user from accessing the drives. nodev disables magic dev, which is supermount's replacement in Mandrake.

edit fstab using kedit. that will create an automatic backup of your old fstab for you. or, copy your old fstab before editing it to a different directory as a backup. that way, if something goes screwy by editing fstab, you can just replace it with the backup.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...