Sliightly weird sound in mandrake 10.1 ("Fixed")

Sophisto

Hi! I've just installed mandrake 10.1 and have now realised that when i play mp3's on my pc the highest frequencies of the sound are a bit exagerated and the sound turns slightly "nasal". Its barely noticable but its very annoying since i have 50gb of music on my computer.. atm mandrake is using the "snd-via82xx" driver which was automatically installed during the installation process. i have tried with another "via"-driver which was in the list of drivers and the same thing appeared. Ive also tried to turn off any line-in channels etc.

ANy ideas?

Edited by Sophisto

Maybe a problem with the speakers? Can you perhaps change some settings there (I got some knobs on my speakers to adjust the sound).

If you use KDE and kmix try looking at the advanced settings.

In alsamixer make sure none of the channels is in the 'red' zone.

(50gb? You keep your music as flacs :D )

For about a week, a friend of mine was experiencing skips and stutters when playing MP3s and OGGs in any player in Mandrake10-OE and it was most annoying. Her machine was using onboard audio. Yesterday (Monday) I installed a Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 for her and the transformation was incredible. No stutters or skipping and the quality of sound from the relatively cheap speakers was amazing. There was also a significent sound level boost as well.

It would seem that on board sound chips really are crap and because they are so cheap is the reason they are on mainboards in the first place. I guess they fall into the same class as winmodems.............cheap and nasty ...... no matter what the PR specs say.

Cheers. John.