Upgrade problem for 10.0

Guest hunterontheway

Guest hunterontheway

Hi all.

I had 10.0 community edition installed. Then i got a 10.1 and decided to upgrade. But when i boot the computer from mandrake 10.1 first cdrom and continue with upgrade it said "no boot partion" so i couldnt do it.

I installed mandrake 10.0 and had made the parititonining as below:

512 mb for swap (i have 256mb ram)

100 mb for /boot

and the rest for /

The last two were ext3 format.

What was wrong with upgrade?

After i installed mandrake 10.1 on the previous version then i had another problem. I couldnt managed to find the right packages for installing anjuta.

At the 10.0 edition it had 4 cds and the fourt one was including many gnome development libraries. And everything was ok.

Now i want 10.1 and want to use anjuta as well. What should i do.

I used sofware management tool to add the 10.0's rpm database to 10.1 so i will be able to use "rpmdrake". I added 4th, 3rd and 2nc cd's rpm parts. When i tried rpmdrake and try to install some packages from them it said some establishment or conflict problems.

When i added the first cd also, the rpmdrake crashed.

What should i do to use the 10.0' cds also as a rpm source and by using rpmdrake tool install the required packages with their dependencies automatically?

What is the difference between 10.0 and 10.1. Becuase if small differences have i will use 10.0.

At 10.0 i installed all libraries and all development pakages (thats the only solution i find to install anjuta :)). Will it be problem to install a new library like glib(newer version) or glibc.

I had glibc . I ran the ./configure with the parameters --prefix=/usr/local/glibc2 --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads. It worked. Then i ran the make. But after doing manythings it gave me error like "sscanf is already defined at the above dir".

What should i do to install glibc?

Is there any online platform that i can reach to ask my questions from home. Or any person that has icq number and may answer my questions while he/she online?

Thanx for all.

Can't really help with the main problem (although upgrades are notorious, they work without a hitch for some and not at all for others) you may well be better off backing up and doing a new install of 10.1.

If you need realtime assistance IRC #musb is well worth a go, they have helped me out a few times (a few of the odder odd-balls from round here :cheeky: ).

You can get there through any IRC tool freenode or click the chat button at the top of this page.

Leo

From your post, you seem to have gone to 10.0 just because it's there! Unless I missed something, it sounds like 10.0 was better for you. Frankly, there are not many functional reasons to go to 10.1, particularly if 10.0 is satisfactory.

Upgrades are a disaster. I know that the choice is there and some have had a successful upgrade. I never have. And while it is possible, mixing rpm's between distros can be a major fiasco. I would not do it.

Guest hunterontheway

I am back adain at the mandrake 10.0

reinstalled and installed all the libraries and gnome packages.

And with my anjuta i am happy now:)

I want to ask something more.

Is there anyone that used debian?

I heard something like apt-get.

I know what it is. Is there a mandrake version of apt and site for it.

How about debian? It is hard to use it?

debian uses apt-get and is is somehow "similar" to urpmi. if you want to get a slight experience of debian, you could/should download a kanotix live.cd from which you can start your very own 100% debian distro in an easy way. debian is, by default, a bit harder to install than mandy, but it is very very stable (most of the times). you should try debian, once you are a bit familiar with the cli and editing config-files manually.

i wouldn't say that debian is better than other distros. it is simply different and it depends on what you want to do and what you can do (in it-terms) if you should stick to debian. but giving it a try is not a bad decision.

btw. there are a lot of distros based on debian out there and many of them still use debians repositories (and apt-get), like kanotix, knopper, gnoppix, mepis, yoper,...