CDRW and DVDROM are gone

kmc77

Help!

I have been working on THIS problem, and just switched out my NIC. When I did, my CDRW and my DVDROM went away. No entry in fstab. Switched the card back to old one but that was no help.

I kinda need both of those drives. The fact that Supermount is not picking them up is not necessarily a bad thing ( I had to enter my USB HD manualy into fstab), but I am not really familiar with what the CDRW and DVDROM entries should look like.

Can anyone help me? Either thru Supermount or manual fstab entry, I need to get these drives up and running again.

Any advise or instruction, completely welcomed.

Edited by kmc77

Thought I'd post a copy of what my fstab looks like now.

/dev/hda1 / ext3 noatime 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhd vfat umask=0,rw,user,exec 0 0
none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,umask=0,exec 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

Those are my fstab entries for my dvdrom and dvd-burner respectively.

One thing: Make sure you check /dev and make sure the entries are really there. I had an issue where suddenly /dev/hdc didn't exist anymore. Couple of reboots (to Windows and back) and it's back. Not sure what the issue was there.

Ok. It's apparently a bigger problem than I thought. I decided to boot to MDK 10.0 OE disk 1, to see if it would pick up my drives. Turns out, It wouldn't even boot to disk. So I checked BIOS to look at boot order. BIOS doesn't even show the two drives..

I'm going to take sys apart tonight and fiddle (change master/slave settings, flip around IDE cables, etc), but If anyone else has experienced something like this before, I'd appreciate any advice that you can provide.

in case you have a second (maybe old) computer at hand, install the drives in there to make sure that it is the drives that are (maybe) dead and not your motherboard (worst case scenario).

Never mind. Computer is fixed now. I spent about 30 minutes plugging and unplugging and shuffling things around before I realized that I had checked the connections to the drives, but not the connection to the board. The IDE cable had come loose from the board. Not sure how, but all I had to do was make sure it was snug and everything was fixed. Thanks for the advise all.