MDK AMD64 issues

having some issues with Mandrakes AMD64 v10.0 Official version. Perhaps someone has the answers...

While installing the nVidia 6800 video drivers I was getting lots of whining about no kernel-source installed. So I did a "urpmi kernel-source-2.6.3-11mdk" and fed the appropriate CD's as requested.

ended up with:

$ rpm -qa | grep kernel

kernel-source-2.6.3-11mdk

kernel-2.6.3.11mdk-1-1mdk

So, the kernel-source is installed. nVidia drivers went along and whined a bit about rivafb, but began to compile... and bailed in the middle of it with an error about the rivafb modules. So, did an rmmod rivafb which stated no rivafb was found in the modules dir.

What's my next move? This no 3D and low res view of MDK sucks... your suggestions please...

Next issue - It was a no brainer to install FireFox on the MDK 10.0 Official. Under the MDK AMD64 v10.0 Official, I get no install, no error messages... Whaz up with Dat?

Any thoughts on this...

I appreciate your help. I am now at a triple boot with Win XP, MDK v10.0, and MDK AMD64 10.0 just because I get great info. Thanks!

i wasnt too impressed with the MDK 64 bit...

firefox is a library issue..you need the contrib libs and some extra stuff compiled for 64 bit or you need to install the 32bit version

even if you install the 64bit only 64bit plugins will work with it and these dont exist.,

same pb with xine etc. btw

Hey Gowator,

I definitly agree - AMD64 version so far isn't worth the $12 I paid for the disks from LinuxCentral... I am REALLY glad I didn't pick up the $129 version!!!

looks like it's just not ready for prime time. Wonder what the 10.1 release will do for it... but I won't hold my breath...

Good thing it's a triple boot with the MDK 10.0 Official 32bit version still running like a champ...

I appreciate the feedback...

L8ter...

I think Linux 64 bit in general has a bit of pain in installation and maintenance. Note that I say Linux in general.. not just the Linux kernel. Most of the problems come from applications and drivers I think.

I think I will wait for 2005 to try Linux 64 bit (that is, if I am lucky enough to get an AMD64 by then :) )