DWL 510 Problem

Guest stejc

I am new to linux and having used it at uni, have just installed Mandrake 10.0 on my home PC with a dual boot with XP SP2.

However I am unable to get my D Link DWL 510 Network card to work, I need this to connect to the router for access to the internet.

How can I get this working? It seems to be reconized, it is listed correctly as "DWL 510" under the Ethernet section of the Hardware part of the Mandrake Control Centre but with "Module:Unknown", do I have to assign a module to it? When I try and setup a new internet connection I choose "wireless connection" and then the only option is "Manual Choice" which then gives me a list of different networks cards or something, whatever I choose I am always returned to the screen with Manual Choice displayed without any error message or reason why.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Stephen Cooper

Edited by stejc

hi stejc and welcome aboard. :)

if your network-card is detected by default, everything should be fine at this stage. first, lets try to analyse the problem.

open a console (black monitor icon), log in as root (type "su" then root password). now type "ifup eth0" wait for an ip adress being assigned to the card. in case you get one, type "ifconfig" and post the result in this forum. also show us the contents of you /etc/sysconfig/networkingscripts/ifcfg-eth0 file.

Hi

Thanks for the reply,

I tried ifup eth0 and but just get the message "configuration for eth0 not found". I have also tried eth1 eth2 etc but always get the same error.

I also dont have a ifcfg-eth0 file only an ifcfg-lo and ifcfg-manual config file

the lo file is as follows:

DEVICE=lo

IPADDR=127.0.0.1

NETMASK=255.0.0.0

NETWORK=127.0.0.0

# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian, you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)

BROADCAST=127.255.255.255

ONBOOT=yes

NAME=loopback

Any idea about whats wrong?

Heres the device information from the hardware screen:

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=""

Vendor: D-Link System Inc

Bus: PCI

Bus identification: 1186:3300:1186:3301

Location on the bus: 0:d:0

Description: D-Link Air Wireless Network (DWL-510) IEEE 802.11b PCI card

Module: unknown

Media class: NETWORK_ETHERNET

Thanks again,

Ste

• 1 year later...
Guest hjikoul

i have just the same problem in mandrake. he sees my eth0 but it's a regular nic.

i think this is the problem: Description: D-Link Air Wireless Network (DWL-510) IEEE 802.11b PCI card

Module: unknown

UNKNOWN

please :help: