Clean reboot

phunni

I'm in the process of re-installing linux after replacing a dying hard drive.

I've got as far as copying my old data into the new home partition and everything has hung... :angry:

I used to think this happened because of my ATI card - but I've not even started X yet - I'm doing all this in mc

My initial instinct is to hit the reset button - but I reckon this may be what killed my old drive and I remember in the old board docs that Tom wrote about a way to cleanly reboot with a key sequence - but I can't find it.

Does anyone know where the docs are or how to force my machione to cleanly reboot?

alt+sysrq+ R, S, E, I, U, B

the topic name is "the magic sysrq key" or something in the tips and tricks section.

R - keyboard to "raw mode"

S - emergency sync

E - terminate all tasks

I - kill all tasks

U - remount filesystems as read-only

B - reboot

And yes I use "raising skinny elephants is uttlerly boring" as the way to remember it :D

nope - still doesn't work. I guess it's either disabled in my kernel (where would the option for that be in the config?) or my machine is too badly crashed.

I'm guessign the former simply because I can still switch between virtual consoles - not that any other keys work to actually let me log into them mind you...

Gonna have to hit the power switch... :sad: