force shutdown on high temps

papaschtroumpf

now that I have temperature monitoring working, I would like to initiate an unattended shutdown if my temps exceed a specific level (in case of fan failure for example).

I'm running grkllm to display the temp, does it allow to initiate a shutdown?

Is there a better way to do it (some monitoring service?)

Ideally I'd like to log something in syslog so that I know why the bix shutdown when I restart it.

FYI, I can't monitor fan speed because I use a low rpm fan and the bios can't read that low so fan speed always reads as 0 (well once in a while it registers at its actual 1200rpm or so value).

AFAIK, none of the monitoring apps out there (superkaramba, grkllm, etc) have any kind of setting/switch to shut down your PC due to overheating. you may be able to write some type of script & link it somehow, but if so, i have no idea how you'd do that. you also might be able to accomplish that using lm_sensors, but again, if so i have no idea how. (big help i am, huh?)

you should, however, be able to set a high temp/auto shutdown in your BIOS. i know mine has such a feature (don't know how well it works because i've never had a temp go over the threshold). so, unless somebody else has a way to use the monitoring app itself to shut you down, i'd check the BIOS settings.

Chris

my bios has an audible alarm but it doesn't actually shut anythign down which is really useless since the machine is unattended 90% of the time.

I guess I'll write a perl script that runs every few minutes, and processes the output of the sensors command (or can I read the temps directly out of the proc file system somewhere?). Might even log the temp hourly to syslog for "long term" temp monitorring.

Looks like I need to go theough the lm_sensors doc more carefully, the lm_sensors page mentions a daemon that would be included in the package that could email you in case of temps too high for example. I'm guessing if it can email, it can shut down too.

I'll post back here if I find more info but feel free to share your experience if you are using it already.

Hi papaschtroumpf.

I have a Gigabyte mainboard, so I don't have any tips for your Shuttle, but...........

On my board If I view the BIOS in the default menu, I don't see too many options and no advanced options. But If I press CTRL-F1 in the BIOS main page, this then sets the BIOS menu in an advanced stage with all sorts of normally hidden menus. :mr-green:

On of the options is "Thermal Throttling" and as it sounds, this slows the CPU speed according to temp. This may be better than shutting down sometimes.

I'm not saying Shuttle have this system, but I would never have found this without the help from amdmb forums (.....trying to setup a link.....)

AMDMB Forums?

Go to the Shuttle forum and find out more about your board, or even find a modded BIOS to enable advanced menus. etc, etc........

have fun.

The Ksensors package (lm_sensors front end) lets you run a command or play a sound when a parameter reaches the 'alarm' level. Mine plays "Great balls of fire" when I disconnect the CPU fan (just for fun).

I guess you can set it up to run /sbin/halt when your MB becomes to hot. The trick is to tune correctly the lm_sensors levels.

Cool! going through the lm_sensors docs I found out that I can change the fan divisor value and the fan speed is now properly showned.

I added "set fan1_div 8" to the relevant section of /etc/sensors.conf (the default divisor was 2)

See doc/fan-divisor in the lm_sensors source

Doesn't solve anything with the probelm at hand but cool to note. (I'm writing a custom script to do temp monitoring).

Edited by papaschtroumpf