Mplayer

Artificial Intelligence

i also had this problem and it got solved once i skipped mplayer for dvds and used xine instead of mplayer. worked extremely well. plug & play

Edited by arctic

So far I have only found Totem to play DVDs properly. ie automatically start and intro when the DVD is inserted and have full ease of use of the DVDs extras on its own menus.

There was no flickering, noise bars, shimmering, frame jumping or distorted sound.

I used to use Mplayer but it was a lot more finicky to use and often times you could not play the DVDs extras no matter how hard you searched the Mplayer menu. Also there WAS ALWAYS some noise bars in the picture as well frame skips.

Sorry ARCTIC but I found Xine to be the most difficult and worst.

Cheers. John.

So far I have only found Totem to play DVDs properly.

I have found Xine to be the best though it doesn't recognize it at insertion. Otherwise it is a great DVD player fast and clean - I do recall having to configure it special for the CSS decrytion to work though.

Btw- is the autoplay feature configurable anywhere I have not investigated yet. ie: can you tell system to open xine when DVD is inserted? I tried looking under file associations but could not find DVD or .VOB anywhere.

Thanks,

You reinforced my point. If it does not recognize a DVD at insertion and has to be configured specially then it is not an easy to use program.

The use of many of these players seems to be based more on geekism than anything else. Same old story, if something does its job simply and easily then it must not be as good as something that has to be mucked around with before it can do anything.

Thank god for choice in Linux. When I shove in a DVD, all I am interested in is watching the DVD. I am not interested in the fact that my computer as opposed to some other form of player device is playing the DVD, and Totem does this superbly.

Please note that my comments are not directed especially to the posters here so please do not take offence because none is intended.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

None taken.

But somewhere there is something that is telling Totem to open when the DVD is installed. So what ever that file is can be configured, and configured only once, to open any program of your choice when that DVD is inserted. I still have yet to figure out what that is but I am confident someone will help us.

In the meantime, use what works and 3 cheers for choice.

If you're using gnome there's something call removable storage. Check the screenshot it explain more than I can do with words  :P

That is very helpful. I wonder if changing the settings in Gnome will effect KDE as well? Also does anyone know if there is a = to this feature in KDE - I have been searching and cannot find any.

Sorry ARCTIC but I found Xine to be the most difficult and worst.

well, aussiejohn, it is very simple to use xine. you have the front-panel where you have various options: vcd, dvd, audio etc. just insert the dvd and click on the type of cd you have inserted and you are done. everything else will be done automatically. give it another try. :)

well, in case you want to tweak stuff, xine offers more possibilities than any other audio/videoplayer i do know of. but then, you do have to know what you are doing. ;)