StarOffice 7 trouble

payasam

In earlier installs of 10.0 Official, I had put in StarOffice 7, and that program functioned just as it should have done except that it always refused to install the Java which comes with it, complaining that it could find no terminal. But it ran without trouble. I know the software and its quirks well, having used it and its predecessors in Windows for some years.

What's happening now is that it's refusing to save the settings I make in its Tools -> Options section. Each time I start it, it's as if I'm making a new beginning. Although I have installed it under /usr/local and also under /home/myname, it has made files in the /root/.gnome and /root/.kde trees, which I have had to delete manually. It has been removed with its own setup utility and has reported success, but each time it has left files sitting around. It does not show up at all in the System -> Configuration -> Packaging -> Remove Software list. I have set to R/W the sub-directory where it saves user configuration but that has not helped.

I am at my wits' end: though in all honesty I must admit that it doesn't take much travel to get me there.

Why don't I just stick with OpenOffice? Because I have data bases sitting in Windows StarOffice which I want to move into its Linux version. OpenOffice does not come with Adabas and also handles DBF files only in its spreadsheet component. I don't want hours of work to go waste.

Let's hope someone does, John, because that's the package in which I do all my writing, spreadsheet and data base work. If it doesn't run in Linux, I'll remain stuck in Windows -- a fate worse than death, some call it.

I was talking this morning to a niece who lives in Sydney and is to visit India with her two kids about a month from now. I'm thinking of disinheriting her: she refused, point blank, to bring me a baby kangaroo.

Yes, AI, I put exactly what I said here on the SO Linux install forum too. Not a squeak there so far, possibly because they have no bats. Maybe if you'd do a Latin translation for me ...

I don't know StarOffice either but I remember when I installed OpenOffice (StarOffice opensource cousin) from OOo (not the rpms), it installed first systemwide (in usr/local/OOo if I remember correctly) and that you had to run a second setup for a user (not logged in as root) installation (creating a folder in $HOME).

Well, I got impatient and wiped out and reinstalled Mandrake. StarOffice wanted to put itself in /root but I changed that to /usr/local. I still haven't checked to see if it behaves itself. In Windows, incidentally, the installations of OpenOffice and StarOffice are identical - with the exception that there is no Adabas with OOo.

Sorry to disappoint you about your nieces response.

Even a baby kangaroo cannot be kept as a pet except under extremely exceptional circumstances, and I mean extreme.

Ask her to bring you a cuddly version but to make sure it is made in Australia so it is a genuine souvenir (too many are made in China).

It seems that MUBers are on your case now. I wish you luck.

Cheers. John.

I didn't have the foggiest, John, what I'd do with a baby kangaroo - but my niece did ask twice if she could bring me anything. Now something cuddly is another matter altogether: I'd welcome that, Australian or Chinese, and not as a souvenir.

Devries, the "setup" brings up a Repair/Remove menu. I've been that route and achieved nothing.

actually i only used staroffice once (on windows), so i have a simple question: was the star-office a binary installing file or a source file (tar.gz) in case that it is a source file, it can be removed again. don't ask me which command you have to use. i am too lazy now to look for the proper command, as i have spent already 14 hours today with LAN-problems on different distros. but given time i will take a look at it.

Edited by arctic