can anybody give me an idea? - SOLVED

giorsat

it simply works great with esddsp gxine. thank you. what have I done?i imagine I use alsa since I see It starting on boot

I'll take that the problem are solved and mark the thread solved - Artificial Intelligence

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

I really should write a FAQ about audio and Mandrake :D

Likely cause of problems: Your soundcard/onboard sound doesn't support hardware mixing. Meaning only one application at a time can produce sound. Likely that application is esd. Esd is a software mixer so it isn't really a problem. However you need to tell to the application (xine) to use esd for audio output. You can do that probably in the settings or (always) with esddsp <app name>.

That doesn help. If esd is keeping the soundcard occupied xine can't use it (this is probably some bug in esd. I have experienced it too). He would have to shut down esd first before xine can get acces to the soundcard. Anyway, esd (and arts) are great when you don't have hardware mixing. It's anoying when you don't get systemnotifications while playing a mp3. :D