Boot Disk Failure

Guest buccy

Hey guys hope you can help. My computer P4 3.0GHz, I865 chipset, 512 RAM, onboard video audio lan, 80GB SATA drive. I can install Mandrake 10 official no problems but after a restart It won't boot, get the generic error insert boot disk. Originally had FC2 on it and it ran fine. I thought that it might have something to do with the SATA drive so I ditched it and ran a normal 40GB IDE Drive but get the same thing happen. I have tried reinstalling about 20 times after I made some changes to the BIOS tried rescue mode and reinstalling LILO still no joy. I have installed successfully on another computer so I don't think there is a problem with the CD's. Any ideas?

This is driving me insane :cheeky::wall::furious3:

Greets!

When you review the summary screen at the end of the install, where does lilo reside? Is plug n play off in the bios? How long are you waiting to see if there is no boot? Do you see any text on the screen at all?

Hey

This is what is says at the sumary screen Lilo-graphic on /dev/hde. I have tried with PnP on and Off in the bios and the same thing, also turned Virus Protection off. The message I get is this dreadful one.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

If I go into rescue mode I can see that everything has installed it just won't boot. Any ideas?

/dev/hde tells me that it is an sata raid issue. Do a search o the board for sata drives or sata raid, and you should get several posts that contain a solution.

Hey

This is what is says at the sumary screen Lilo-graphic on /dev/hde.  I have tried with PnP on and Off in the bios and the same thing,  also turned Virus Protection off.  The message I get is this dreadful one.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

If I go into rescue mode I can see that everything has installed it just won't boot.  Any ideas?

Now this might be a long shot but having installed a sata drive (only) on my machine (see signature) i ran into problems similar to what your saying. I had this occuring for some odd reasons using a wireless keyboard or after doing a bios upgrade on my asus mobo. The reason i couldnt boot was because the bios configuration settings defaulted the system to raid rather than ide devices, hence the system was looking for a raid configuration whiich there was not and prompted that awful message. Hope it helps :cheesy:

Still no joy. Like I said in my first post I have tried with sATA and IDE drives and have the same thing happen. Just tried it again now with a 40GB IDE drive with sATA disabled in the bios summary says Lilo-graphic on /dev/hda still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello buccy. What is your Mainboard. If is is using an ATI chipset then there is the great likelihood that although SATA is set in the BIOS as disabled, in reality it is not. ATI did a dirty little cutdown for a cheaper chipset and the ability to disable the SATA is itself disabled.

Example of such a board with such a chipset is the ASUS A7V600 series. I know because I have one.

None of the manual instructions tell you this. It was such a mess trying to get Mandrake 9.2 working after replacing a faulty mainboard with this one that I finally resorted to doing a clean reinstall. The reinstall showed my hard drives and cdroms as hde,hdf,hdg and hdh and everything installed AOK and ran AOK.

I even ran a posted thread hereabouts asking about this but no one seemed to know much about it so I ceased worrying about. Later I learnt that my Mandrake was always looking for hda,hdb,hdc and hdd originally, and I did not know enough how to change fstab and other places to get it to work.

When I got my new mother board (ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe)I had the same situation all over again but in reverse. However I decided it was easier to do a fresh reinstall but this time with Mandrake10-CE (have since gone 10-OE).

I have the A7V600-E installed in a small box with old hardware which has only WINDOWS 2000 Pro on it and it runs fine as is.

I hope this long ramble is of some help to you and others.

Cheers. John.