40GB iPod invisible [SOLVED]

Guest duncangareth

Guest duncangareth

When I attach my 40GB iPod to Windoze, there is no problem. Everything works. However, when I attach it to Mandrake 10.1beta2, I can see that a "USB Storage Device" is attached, but I cannot see the drive partition(s) on the iPod. According to the information I have managed to glean from the net, the iPod uses a fairly standard vfat type of fs, so what could the problem be? Is it some sort of fiendish Apple security scheme, perhaps?

:angry:

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible to get a 4G ipod installed...I just, finally, got it to work. Basically there is this "feature" in the newer kernels called the EFI partition which is used for portable drives and such. For some reason on the 4G ipods this causes them to be unreadable. To fix this you are gonna have to build your own custom kernel. Luckily I found this website http://pgshopping.com/mdkxp/?c=ttrls/mdkkernel which tells you exactly what to do (you will have to find the EFI option in the .config file and change the "y" to an "n"). Then if you have nvidia drivers you are gonna have to reinstall them for the new kernel. Then you can add an fstab entry for the ipod and mount it with mount /mnt/ipod (not sure what the entry should look like yet). But using 'eject /mnt/ipod' works to both umount the ipod and get it out of that do no undock mode.

PM me if you are still having probs and i'll walk you through it...its worth all the trouble...if you PM i'll probably contact you over IM.

Ok as per my other thread I have fixed my ipod and made it work...here is my setup (some things may be necessary and some things may not be depending on your computer/ipod combo and luck/karma/mana levels):

1) a 32bit version of mdk seems to be more stable than a 64bit version (I'm using 10.1 C)

2) recompile the kernel according to the instructions found here http://pgshopping.com/mdkxp/?c=ttrls/mdkkernel and follow the lilo instructions here http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-...NFIGURATION-2-6

(ONLY NECESSARY FOR G4 IPODS)

3) if you have nvidia drivers you must reinstall them...this may include using the workarounds found on this an other forums... http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=452821 or http://ariejan.net/content/view/85/2/

4) while you are waiting for the kernel to compile go bug one of your friends to let you install the ipod on your friend's computer...be sure to put a song or two on the ipod to make sure that an ipod database file exists on the ipod. This step is necessary because virgin ipods come from the store mac formated (which is usable only if you compile in HFS+ modules in your kernel compile)

5) make sure you boot from the custom kernel

6) add a fstab entry for the ipod...mine looks like this: /dev/sda2 /mnt/ipod vfat umask=0,user,noauto,exec 0 0 You may have to fiddle with permissions at this point.

Also, do a "mkdir /mnt/ipod" as root to create a mount point for the ipod.

7) install gtkpod...I installed it from a rpm i found a pbone.net but you can probably compile it yourself (this may clear up a later issue)

8) mount the ipod using "mount /mnt/ipod" as root

9) start gtkpod as root

10) click the read database thing...

11) add songs...then click sync. I would recommend not including all the songs you have on the first try. After you click sync gtkpod may or may not look like its rocketing through the transfer. It will look like its done but its not. So go watch some tv or something and come back (might want to ask someone how long it takes approx per song to download).

12) do a "umount /mnt/ipod" as root and then take the ipod out after it completes even though there is still the warning on the screen. OR do a "eject /mnt/ipod" which does the same thing but returns it to the regular screen.

Edited by imwithstupid

I've done some more screwing around with the G4 ipod/gtkpod/mdk10.1 and found some more interesting stuff out.

-gtkpod seems to update the database after it uploads all the new files...so if you are like halfway though and it stops working you can't see the new files.

-If you then try to add them again this doesn't work because it tries to load files in order to the ipod file system folders f00-fxx all the while using its very own gtkpod incremental file numbers...this is a problem if the previous files didn't get downloaded right and can't be written over. This causes gtkpod to stop transfering files and you never get a clean database file.

-The only remedy i can conjure up to this is to go and reinstall the ipod on my roomates PC then come back and sync small groups of songs to the ipod through gtkpod. All the while crossing my fingers that it doesn't screw up.

ok so i've got more to report on...

I did the following and it seemed to clean up all the problems nicely...

-reinstalled the ipod on my roomies computer

-delete all the files on the ipod...including the folders...let the apple logo come on and remake those folders.

-unhooked the ipod with the ole remove hardware win tray icon thing

-booted and logged in as root

-mounted ipod

-opened gtkpod

-didn't read the db from the ipod

-added some files (like 10) to the playlist

-hit sync

-watched the little disk acces icon in the upper left corner of the ipod...it goes on for a sec...then it goes on for a while...then wait...then it might go on for a another short sec..

-then try closing gtkpod...if it complains that everything isn't written to the ipod then its not done...wait some more

-i started gtkpod again and transfered more files...they work...this means that it is repeatable...SWEET

This has been so, so freaking frustrating...i probably stank bad on a frosh level test on wed because of this whole issue. On the other hand I learned about what PAM does, the internal workings of Ipods, and how to recompile a kernel.