Asus TUSL-M motherboard

Guest Dirty Old Man

Guest Dirty Old Man

Has anyone tried this motherboard with MD9? It has the SIS 300 & SIS 630ET chipsets and the C-Media 8738 chipset - these are for the built-in video, sound and lan.

I have heard of people having trouble with the SIS chipsets, especially video and lan, and this is the reason that I'm asking. I want to use a micro-ATX motherboard with everything built on it because I plan on using my old Cel 700 on and built a quite computer. I have a big heatsink and plan on disconnecting the fan on it to cut down on the noise. I want to put everything in a small slim-style case. I have the CPU, memory ( 256k), and hard drive ( 40g ), DVD already.

I'm not going to use this machine for gaming or any CPU intensive stuff - just surfing, watching DVDs, listening to MP3s and Oggs, e-mail and word processing.

"I have a big heatsink and plan on disconnecting the fan on it to cut down on the noise"...

I don't think that would be too advisable. I have a PIII 700E. The fan died two nights ago and the thing went past 72 degrees celcius in the the minute or so it took me to discover what the problem was (granted it had the Intel heatsink).

If you want a fanless CPU, your best bet is to go with a VIA C3 processor.

Guest Dirty Old Man

I have thought about using the C3 but right now I have a Cel 700 laying around in my desk drawer. My big question deas with the SIS chipsets as I have heard of many who have ran into problems with them on MDK9.

If I was to decide from the get-go to use a C3 then I would go with the VIA EPIA 800 Mini-ITX board. It has everything but the kitchen sink ( and floppy connector ) on it. And is it small.

Check this out: http://www.mini-itx.com/hardware/intro.asp to get an ideal of its size.