Mandrake 10.1 and the NVIDIA drivers won't work

Guest triton

I've just installed Nvidia driver in Mandrake 10 but after installation the X didn't start anymore. On the installation it says something like: you have altered version of driver, should you still continue etc..., i've accepted the license, then everything goes and well, installer finish. Then i've tried to startx says something like: Initializing GLX extension and display is shutdown.

I didn't found xorg.conf, where it will it be located?

XF86Config.txt

Edited by triton

see This Topic, "The Nvidia Mandrake 10.1 tutorial" link.

Chris

Guest GreenBanditAtWork
Then i've tried to startx says something like: Initializing GLX extension and display is shutdown.

When I install the nVidia drivers on my PC that uses an SIS 741 chipset, I had to add the line

Option "NvAgp" "0"

in my XF86Config file as my chipset is not supported - see the nVidia readme file appendix f for the details.

It has now worked for me on 2 different PC with unsupported chipsets. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I find with the nVidia drivers, after an install and editing the configuration files, all you need to do is an "ldconfig" once more and it seems to clear things up and the driver seems to work.

If Xorg follows the same pathing, you *should* find the xorg.conf files to edit under /etc/X11

**UPDATE** Just installed Mandrake 10.1 (up from 10.0 Official) and I seem to be having issues getting Xwindows to start up.

I got the nVidia drives installed okay, but during install there was a note about the drivers possibly not working correctly because there was already a module installed. Once compiled and after editing the xorg.conf to set the driver to "nvidia" and to enable the "glx" xwiindows fails and gives an error about screens found but none usable?

I have commented out the "nvidia" driver and went back to using "nv" so I could log in and post this message.

Is there something that I may have missed? The procedures I have used prior to this (in Mandrake 9.2 and 10.0) worked fine, but do not work in 10.1. I am assuming that it is because of xorg instead of xfree being used.

Anyone know of a fix that I have overlooked?

Edited by Xyphus