My experiment with packet writing has a cost!?

Peppercorn

Hi again fellow linux groovers

I experimented with packet writing a few weeks ago with both CDs and DVDs without too much success and eventually gave up ........a loser!

However, the DVD RWs that I was trying to format can no longer be identified by K3b or any other DVD burning program that I have installed.

Now, I would really like to be able to resurrect these DVDs rather than throw them away. Can anyone give me any ideas of what I might be able to do or approaches to take???????????

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

• 2 weeks later...

I bet nobody else is trying to use packet writing. Myself, I've read that Linux was very experimental at it, so I decided not to use it.

Nevertheless, if you give more details about what you already tried and did, then someone might help you...

Good luck :)

Yves.

Well Yves

All I tried to do (unsucessfully I may add) was try to format the DVD via a terminal. I forget the command that I used now, but it was one that I read somewhere to format a DVDrw to packet writing.

All I have now is a couple of DVDs that cannot be read in any DVD Burning program or any DVD player or writer. I don't like giving in so I don't want to throw them out. But I don't know where to start to even try and resurrect them.

Any ideas will be very much accepted!!!

Hum...

There are two ways people could help you:

- make those disks read-writable as you intended,

- or make them usable as standard DVDrws.

For the first way, I think you'd better find that article about DVDrw formating, because without that, you (we) can't know what filesystem you installed (or attempted to install) on the disks.

For the second way, you should tell a little more about your error. Is it "no media found", or "cannot write to an already-written-to disk", or something else?

Yves.