Thunderbird - will not send email

ChrisM

I can receive but not send emails - Thunderbird keeps asking for my password when I try to send - I add it - it doesn't post, and then I try to send again, and again it asks for my password - it never manages to post my emails. It seems to be in a loop.

(When I log in, it asks for my password before it downloads new messages. This is OK. My ISP says the smtp server is OK. And I've rebooted a couple of times.)

This problem has only occured today - I haven't done anything (no upgrade/haven't altered any settings/etc etc etc)

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers.

Edited by ChrisM

Its Thunderbird 0.7.3

Its very frustrating - I've now unchecked usename and password box within the smtp settings - though this has *always* been checked previously. This seems to let me send emails at the moment (though as mentioned earlier, when I changed the pswd this allowed me to send - temporarily - after shutting down/rebooting I was faced with the same problems!)

I'll see how this goes - I've recently been thinking of changing over to KMail, or updating to 10/10.1 and using Evolution. Maybe that's it - TBird is jealous! :lol:

Edited by ChrisM

Just taking a clue from another poster in another thread.

I don't use Thunderbird, I use Kmail instead, so I am not sure if there is a .thunderbird folder in your account (i.e. a hidden file). Look for it and delete it then restart Thunderbird again and it will create a new folder/file. See if that does the trick.

Cheers. John.

This is unlikely to be a problem with Thunderbird, which I use for three accounts, each set up with a different SMTP server. You might consider removing the program and reinstalling it - or else a newer version.

oh dear :o

I did what AussieJohn advised and not only did I lose all my emails and folders but the same darn problem exists.

I understand that I'm able to recover this file? I hope so.

I have 2 email accounts - both (were) accessed by TBird.

Now, my priority email account, which has folders etc is very important. So, to add to my woes, when I re-set up this account again in TBird - it now completely fails to login (yet I can still access the account using a web mail client).

I've checked, double checked, and checked again my settings and passwords, caps lock etc etc etc. All are fine.

Summary - I can login to one account, but not send emails. I've lost all folders - and are not kept on the web mail account - oops.

I can't log into my primary account at all via TBird. but can at least get to my messages on web mail.

Is there any way of recovering the TBird I deleted. This way at least I have my folders etc and then I can consider other options.

Cheers.

I hope you looked in the file or folder before deleting it. I would have assumed you would have checked it out first BEFORE deleting anything.

If the in or out mail was not contained in there then it is possibly in a .Mail folder similar to what Kmail does and should be recoverable. Generally something like . <application name> only contains settings and are generated the first time you open the application.

I really am surprised you deleted before checking. If you only deleted a file then you would not have lost your mail but if you deleted a folder then you may be out of luck. When you try ANY deletions it is always worth considering sending it to the Recycle Bin first just in case (as this one) the problem is not solved and you can then retrieve it.

Anyway see if there is a .Mail folder. Please remember it was only a long shot suggestion and not a recommendation.

I hope you have luck. John.

AussieJohn

You guessed it - I got slack, and deleted the darn thing. Doh! Can't find a .Mail folder either.

Its been frustrating - I use email practically everyday, and today is the first time I've had any real issues.

Luckily, I still have access to my primary account via web mail.

However, the problem remains the same - not being able to send messages, and in one account, not being able to log in at all through TB - and other than hashing it up through deleting TB, I hadn't made any adjustments whatsoever, so this is all very puzzling.

I realise it was a long shot and not a recommendation - no worries. I did something without thinking. Fortunately my slackness isn't totally a disaster - like i say, on my important email account, I still have web access. Just be a darn sight easier if I could somehow have recovered the TB I deleted.

How dumb do I feel :unsure:

Mate I feel pretty bad to have been part of your now problem too so don't beat up too much on yourself.

I'd hate to count the number of times in my life that I've jumped first and then looked.

i"ll try installing Thunderbird and see if I can come up with something more positive.

Cheers. John.

AussieJohn

Please don't feel bad. Not your fault I dived in without thinking proper :wall: . Now, I'll feel bad if you feel bad, so lets not feel bad.:P

Anyway, all is not lost. I did some more diggin around, and I've been able to locate the Mail folder - and I can pull out those emails in text form - so everything is OK. They wern't anything special but at least I have a record of them now.

And, my important emails are still available via web mail.

I've got rid of TB - I have tried and tried and tried to resolve this problem today but it seems the more I tried the bigger the hole I ended up in! :lol2:

So, time to rest my sore eyes and sore head and have a beer :beer: or even :beer::beer::beer: :D and reinstall over weekend.

Sorry to make you feel bad - you weren't to know the guy at the other end o the world was acting like an empty head today.

Man - I still don't understand how all of this has happened today. One day all is well - the next - chaos

Edited by ChrisM

Ok here we go again

The exact same thing is now happening with my partner's TB - which BTW is on a separate box. She can receive incoming emails, but when she tries to post, she gets into a loop with it continually asking her to supply her pswd! (see opening messages of this post also).

Sounds to me like a bug - I believe there has been a TB update recently, and we have our settings to check for updates. I've had a scan at the TB forum but can't see anything specific to this problem.

I assume then its a problem with TB and not mdk (9.2), Has anyone else had this problem - its gonna be a pain if I have to download and reinstall TB across my home network.

Any suggestions?

Edited by ChrisM