Reminder program wanted - SOLVED

payasam

Over the past few years I have built up a formidable reputation for not forgetting things I've promised to do, kids' birthdays and so on. I experimented with different reminder programs in Windows and finally settled on two: one which pops up a note or notes every time I start the computer and another which pops up a note and makes a sound on the date and time specified.

I have not so far found anything similar which I can use on Mandrake 10.0. There is the KDE Alarm Clock, but I have not been able to get it to start at boot up. A program called TkRemind seemed promising but it does not give an audible warning and maybe will not start automatically. I am now about to try out a Mozilla family member - some bird, as might be expected - but I'd appreciate other suggestions. Or else a way to make Alarm Clock start up by itself.

its pretty easy to make something start at boot up but for some apps you probably want to do it at log-in...

If you are using KDe you can oput it in the autostart folder in .kde (I think Im at work now)

alternatively you can set up a cron job to do almost anything that can be done from the CLI...

I am in KDE, Gowator. I assume that the dot in .kde means that it is a hidden directory. I'm afraid I don't yet know what is a cron job: nor CLI. I suppose I'll get there eventually. Thanks.

korganizer!

it's part of the kontact suite (kmail, knotes, korganizer etc)

ALT + F2 korganizer

will start the application. Then it will sit in the panel, you can activate a reminder module (right click on the icon), will start automatically when you log into kde.

I am unsure about the sound notification.

I've seen Kontact, Anna, but it has too many things in it and I like The Simple Life. But if your trick works and I can use only KOrganiser AND get it to run at boot-up, it might be just what I need. The two other things I have - Reminder and Sunbird - are much the same, with the exception of e-mail. Also, I dislike having to remember combinations like ALT + F2 and CTL-SHIFT-F5 for this, that and the other. So much simpler to have an autostart directory; and even better to have a batch file.

But I'll see what I can do. Thanks, little lady.

Thanks, Arctic, I'll look into it in an hour or so.

Anna, your instructions don't seem to apply to my installation or version. The first step brings up the whole program on to the screen.

Autostart at boot still remains a mystery.

There is the KDE Alarm Clock, but I have not been able to get it to start at boot up.

payasam - I don't know if you're referring to KAlarm, which you can find under Office - Time Management. If so, go into Settings - Configure Alarm - General, and set 'Run continuously in system tray' and 'Autostart at login'.

Works fine for me. B)

Anna, your instructions don't seem to apply to my installation or version. The first step brings up the whole program on to the screen.

Autostart at boot still remains a mystery.

I have 10.0 Official. Without any updates installed.

The ALT + F2 key combination invokes the window: run command, there you just type: korganizer

And this does not work for you?

This starts the korganizer without kontact suite for me.

Don't start it using the Mandrake menu. <---- weird stuff ;-)

You have to start it only once, the next time it stays in your kicker panel. You'll see the icon.

I always start the single applications in kontact: kmail, knotes, korganizer, knode

Autostart at boot:

everything that is 'docked' on the right side of your panel (the clock, klipper, and more) will get started automatically when you login to kde. No need at all to put something in Autostart or such.

Spiny: wooooww, just started kalarm, never saw this, you can even import birthday dates, lol

Norman, with or without spines, that's just what I did with KAlarm: but while it does amiably sit in the system tray as long as the machine runs, it does not come up by itself at my next log-on.

Anna, I too am on 10.0 Official, download version, no updates. Yet when I do an ALT + F2 followed by "korganizer", the whole of the universe comes crashing down on to my screen. And no one ever taught me how to pilot a space ship.

I am, as it may be appropriate to say here, hopelessly Kconfused.

gnomecal (or gnome-cal?) used to have all functions you want, without bells and wistles of kontact and evolution. It perfectly worked with kde. Last time I used it with KDE2.2 Mandrake 8.2. I don't know whether it ships with Mandrake 10. Just google for rpm packages or sources.

Thanks, Coverup. I don't think I've seen it in 10, and maybe I don't need it any more. But if it is, as you say, free of bells and whistles, perhaps I should give it a look.

Norman, I did what you said, and sure enough, KAlarm was right there on booting up. Devil knows where I went wrong earlier. It might just be that my earlier installation, on which I had tried it, was faulty. Thanks.

Edited by payasam

Yep, it's gnomecal, it's included in MDK 9.2 installed on my laptop and works fine under KDE3.1. It may however depend on GNOME libraries, so you might have skipped it during install if you didn't install GNOME. On the other hand I consistently have no success with korganiser - alarm NEVER works for me (neither visual, nor sound).