Cannot print with new HP deskjet 3420

Indigesto

Hi all,

Santa Claus decided to send me a new HP deskjet 3420 after he saw that all my attempts to use my Philips XION printer/fax (not so widely known) with Linux has been failed. He cheked that a diriver for linux was existing and found it at http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net and the printer appears to be known in the supported hardware web page of Mandrake.

Well, but it doesn't work (it works and align the pens in Windows).

What I did is to try with ML 9.0 Mandrake Control Center (printerdrake) first, and the printer name is recognized by the USB connection but the printer model is not existing in the configuration list.

Then I downloaded and installed the HPIJS 1.3 driver (which include also my printer model) from the abovementioned site (Ghostscript seems to consider IJS and do not need to be updated). Since the printer is not listed in printerdrake I tried with other HP printer with IJS driver but without success. Apparently what I need is to produce a PPD file to configure the printer with CUPS. I found one in www.linuxprinting.org and substituted in the directory /etc/cups/ppd but, again, without success (probably because it works with foomatic).

Also no PPD file found in the printer CD-ROM and not for my printer in the Adobe site (HP .exe file).

What do I have to do to print with my new deskjet 3420?

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I succeded to install the printer.

I just downloaded the current foomatic from www.linuxprinting.org.

In order to install it I installed libxml2-devel also and had to modify the default directory to /usr in the configure file (not to install in /usr/local). In fact the suggested parameter --prefix=/usr didn't work for me.

After that printerdrake visualize the HP deskjet 3420.