VIA AMR (HSP56 MR) modem not working in mdk-9.0 !!

Guest ndeb

I know this is a perennial problem with winmodems but I am very close making my AMR modem work on linux. It is a HSP56 MR modem from PCTel. Here are the details of the modem from lspci -v:

00:07.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Modem Controller (rev 30)

Subsystem: SILICON Laboratories: Unknown device 4c21

Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10

I/O ports at d800

Capabilities: <available only to root>

and from lspci -vn:

00:07.6 Class 0780: 1106:3068 (rev 30)

Subsystem: 1543:4c21

Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10

I/O ports at d800

Capabilities: <available only to root>

I downloaded the latest (0.9.6) driver source from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/ , compiled the driver modules and loaded them successfully as shown by these lsmod entries:

Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P

ptserial            41636 0 (unused)

pctel                1230208 0 [ptserial]

dmesg shows these lines which show that the driver has detected the modem and assigned the device ttyS15 to it:

AC97 modem device found: devnum = 80003E00, devid = 1106/3068

iobase_0=0xd800, iobase_1=0x0000,irq=10

PCTel driver version 0.9.5 [5.05c-4.27.215 (09-14-2001)] (MR) (2002-01-31) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI AUDIO_ROUTING[VIA] enabled.

PCTel driver built on [Linux 2.4.19-16mdk i686 unknown "2.4.19-16mdk <132115>"] with gcc-gcc (GCC) 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-1mdk).

ttyS15 at 0xd800 (irq = 10) is a PCTel

However, ls -l /dev/ttyS* shows only these:

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root            5 Dec 26 12:56 /dev/ttyS0 -> tts/0

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root            5 Dec 26 12:56 /dev/ttyS1 -> tts/1

There is no /dev/ttyS15 created even after loading the modem drivers (even though devfsd is running).

Also, I have this:

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root            5 Dec 26 12:56 /dev/modem -> tts/0

which means /dev/modem is pointing to /dev/ttyS0.

Now, I can try brute force method and create a /dev/ttyS15 (using MAKEDEV) and then link /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS15. But I would like to know if anybody has any better suggestions.

Now, wvdialconf always fails to detect modem at any ttyS* device with this message:

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<Info>: Device or resource busy

Port Scan<*1>: S0   

ttyS1<Info>: Device or resource busy

Port Scan<*1>: S1   

Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?

Did you configure it properly with setserial?

This is ironic since I do have an external modem connected to /dev/ttyS0 that kppp detects and configures just fine but wvdialconf does not. I guess this means wvdialconf has problems of its own. I will stick with kppp.

I tried the brute force method (MAKEDEV ttyS15) and then made /dev/modem point to /dev/tts/15. Then ran kppp, which reported failure while querying the modem.

bvc,

Thanks for the info. I have also had a look at the site http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/ (which supplies linux drivers for conexant modems only). But I do not have a conexant modem, since in MS windows, the modem is listed as a HSP56 MR modem from PCTel. To be doubly sure, I ran the shell utility from http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/modemident.html which detected a modem but could not say if it was conexant. Also, the only ttyS* devices I have are ttyS0, ttyS1 and ttyS15 (the last one created manually). There is no ttySHSF*.

I was basically suggesting, trying to use wvdial and pointing it to /dev/ttyS15, and see what happens.

Modem=/dev/ttyS15

I noticed the driver download page said "This driver is new and may contain some bugs. However, support for AMR / MR based modems seems still to be broken. Please read the INSTALL, README and FAQ and follow the instructions."

The INSTALL file says

You should see in your logs ("tail /var/log/messages") something like:

May 16 23:28:17 suba kernel: PCTel initialization. Country code is 2.

May 16 23:28:17 suba kernel: PCTel device[00:11.0](0x88) found "PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56 (rev 01)" IOBASE 0xe800 IRQ 9.

May 16 23:28:17 suba kernel: PCTel driver version 0.9.6 [5.05c-4.27.215 (09-14-2001)]] (PCT789) (2001-08-18) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI enabled.

May 16 23:28:17 suba kernel: PCTel driver built on [Linux 2.4.8 i686 unknown] with [2.95.3].

May 16 23:28:17 suba kernel: ttyS15 at 0xe800 (irq = 9) is a PCtel

but I'm sure you've seen this :)

I was basically suggesting, trying to use wvdial and pointing it to /dev/ttyS15, and see what happens. 

Modem=/dev/ttyS15

Did that but wvdial always gives the same error messages about device busy. I changed it to ttyS14 (which is non-existent) and got exacty the same type of error messages !! Looks like wvdial is not working too well with this modem.