KDE3.1RC5 and Windows True Type Fonts....

Guest dahvaio

Guest dahvaio

I recently installed KDE3.1RC5 using Texstars RPMS. I have an odd annoyance. I installed all the windows TTF fonts, i.e. (Arial, Arial Narrow, Tahoma, etc). Previously, with KDE 3.0.3 I used Tahoma as my desktop and system font but since the upgrade I do not have the ability to use it in KDE-Control Center. I have removed and reinstalled the fonts with no luck.

I can use the fonts in OpenOffice but just not for the desktop and system fonts.

Just curious to see if anyone else was experiencing this problem. It just seems that KDE3.1 has somehow weeded out the MS Fonts....

Thanks,

David

-----------------------------------------------

Sony VAIO R505DL Laptop

Mandrake 9.0

Custom 2.4.20 Kernel + ACPI + SWSUSP

XiGraphics Summit-LX-Platinum Server

I found so many problems running rc5 that I went back to 3.05. I've had beta2, rc1, and rc5 all running (or almost running) at some time on my box, and I'm hoping that in January with the official release that it actually works!

Hmm.. I actually have no problem in selecting those fonts.. Then again I added my truetype fonts manually instead of using drakfont (from the tutorial at the old docs section). Drakfont just doesn't like to import my fonts automatically from my win2k ntfs partition.

Guest smoketoomuch

I just had the same problem and I think I found a solution. When you are logged into KDE as a normal user (well, I mean not as root) Kde looks for fonts in your /home/user/.kde/share/fonts directory. I noticed that in the KDE Control Center only a few fonts show up. What I did was to symlink all my fonts into that directory. I didn't bother with importing fonts from my windows partition, for there are all the windows ttf fonts I need in texstar's repository on ibiblio: http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...e/RPMS.texstar/

The packages are: msfonts-1.2.1-1.noarch.rpm and msfonts-style-1.2.1-1.noarch.rpm. Download and install them. It will put them in /usr/share/fonts/msfonts and /usr/share/fonts/msfonts-style. Now you will have to symlink those directories into your /home/user/.kde/share/fonts:

cd /home/user/.kde/share/fonts

ln -s /usr/share/fonts/msfonts

ln -s /usr/share/fonts/msfonts-style

Then open KDE control center, Font Installer. The new directories would show up, and you will only have to enable those fonts.

RC5 just works fine for me btw - I'm still dazed abit discovering all the goodies. I think I like it.