permissions

jareddrake

Are you trying to change permissions on a file which is stored on a non-Linux partition?

I was foxed by this for a while until I realised that a particular file was on my shared drive (which is formatted as FAT32 so I can share it with Windows).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lightoller

Hi all !

I have that problem, with the Community release for AMD64, beta 2.

During the install, it can't see my Windows NTFS partitions or, better, it can see them but it doesn't know which kind of partition they are.

I can mount them simply with "mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/win_d" command, but the problem is that so I can access the partitions only being root, and there's no way to change the permissions of /mnt/win_d with a "chmod a+r /mnt/win_d", cause it says he cannot change the permissions.

Ok I know it can't write on NTFS partitions but... I only would like to read them, without opening a root console!

:wall::wall::wall:

Any suggestions?

Mounting an NTFS partition/hard disk

Author: nil

Date: 10/26/2003

This tutorial has been read 44162 times.

Curious about our formatting? View the Legend!

This how-to describes how to mount an NTFS partition in linux so that the user can access files on the NTFS partition from linux normally.

1. Login as root by running from a terminal su followed by typing the root password.

2. Create a directory in your /mnt folder. This can be done by running mkdir /mnt/X where X is the name of the directory where the NTFS partition will be mounted.

3. Run fdisk -l and note the name of the device file for the NTFS partition. Lets say the device file name is found to be /dev/Y.

4. Open the file /etc/fstab in your favorite text editor.

5. On a new line at the bottom of the file, add the line

/dev/Y /mnt/X ntfs users,owner,ro,umask=000 0 0

where X is the name of the directory you created in step 2.

6. Save and quit the file /etc/fstab

7. Then run mount -a and the NTFS partition will be mounted. It will also be mounted automatically after reboot so that you do not have to do anything after you reboot.

Important Notes

* This will allow all users READ ONLY access to the NTFS partition. Write access to NTFS partitions is still considered very risky (see http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2 ).

* For more info, see http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html .

* Redhat/Fedora users, see http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#6.1 .

Guest lightoller

:thanks:

Thanks, it works perfectly!

the only thing I'm wondering, as a newbie :oops: is... why in the former case (manually mounted the ntfs partition as root), Linux didn't let root give the access rights to the disk, to other users?

byeeee